Chapter 02: Ultimatum

11:39 A

11:39 A.M.
     NIAZI PALACE ( FORM. JAHANGIR PALACE), OUTSKIRTS OF DELHI

"Will you listen to me for a second?" Kainaat begged as she trailed Maa, who pretended there was no one behind her and kept talking on the phone. They and their everyday dramas!

I returned to the newspaper in my hand and took a brief peek at the headlines relating to the concerning families.

NIAZI SECURITIES TO RENEW CONTRACT WITH REHMAN HOTELS!

ZAID MALIK LIKELY TO TIE KNOT WITH THE FAMOUS YOUTUBER SONALI KHANNA!

Don't they have any other things to write about? And who the hell is Sonali Khanna? And why, Zaid of all people?

"When are you leaving?" I folded my newspaper and set it next to the teapot on the table as I heard Baba speak from across the table, where he sat in a chair wearing a white kurta.

His eyes were closed, and his head was inclined up to the sky, enjoying the sunlight. I felt my brows furrow as I looked between the brightly beaming sun and Baba before putting on my sunglasses.

"Next weekend." I answered as I reached out for my cup and took a very small and careful sip of the warm tea. Goodness, it just can't get any worse.

I internally sighed and placed the white tea cup on the saucer then looked up at Baba as I felt his stare.

"Don't you dare making that face, you ungrateful piece of shit!" Baba snapped as he looked at me with a frown on his face. "You never complain when your mother cooks but you always, always save this," he pointed a finger at my face. "this nasty expression for your father!"

I pulled my lips together and nodded obediently with my head slightly bowed and my arms resting on the garden chair's iron armrest while I clasped hands together lazily.

"Qais!" He called me with a warning in his voice.

I groaned silently before removing my sunglasses, looking at him for a second, then grabbing my tea cup, swallowing the entire thing, and dropping it with a loud clatter on top of the saucer.

"What do you even add to this?" I cleared my throat before wiping my mouth with a napkin, feeling shivers of disgust from within, and then returned the pale white fabric to the table as Maa and Kainaat joined us out in the gardens.

"I added lots of love," Baba said, spreading his arms wide and smiling as he gazed at me. "with a few very small pinches of experiment!"

Kainaat poured tea into my cup and took a quick sip before gazing at Baba with wide eyes then covered her mouth with a hand before swallowing.

"Dad, if you continue to love us like this, then..." Kainaat just shook her head as she washed down that disgusting thing with some water.

"Beta, don't drink that!" Maa took the tea cup from her and returned it to the tray, then turned to me. "Did you drink it?"