Azraya Ackabee-Kokopenance

Introduction

Azraya Ackabee-Kokopenace and her twin brother, Braedon, were born on March 6, 2002 to their parents, Marlin Kokopenace and Christa Ackabee. The family, which also included older brother Calvin, are members of Grassy Narrows First Nation, located in northwestern Ontario.

A Young Life Lost

Azraya Ackabee-Kokopenace was only 14 years old when she was found dead in a wooded area on April 17, 2016. Just days before, she had been dropped off at a hospital in Kenora, Ontario by provincial police. It's a heartbreaking story that raises many questions.

Azraya's Bright Personality

Growing up, Azraya was regarded as a sweet girl filled with innocence. She had a quiet and loving nature, and she wasn't afraid to show her humorous side. Her bright smile and warm hugs made everyone around her feel happy. She also had a great sense of fashion and loved expressing herself through her unique style. People in her community saw her as a ray of positivity.

Challenges in the Family's Life

Azraya's family had faced challenges even before she was born. Children's Aid (CAS) was involved due to concerns about inadequate supervision, domestic violence, and alcohol use. These issues affected the family's dynamics and created a difficult environment for Azraya and her siblings.

A Father's Grief

Azraya's father, Marlin Kokopenace, is heartbroken and has many questions. He hasn't received all the answers about his daughter's final hours. He wonders why the police couldn't find her and why she was allowed to walk away from the hospital in the first place.

Trouble with the Police

A few weeks before she disappeared, on March 26, Azraya had an altercation with a police officer.

Videos of the incident were released by her family. The videos show a struggle between Azraya and two police officers who were called because someone reported she appeared intoxicated.

In one of the videos, Azraya is lying on the ground while a police officer tries to restrain her. She's kicking her legs, but she doesn't actually hit the officer. She repeatedly said she wanted to go home. Then, things get really bad. The officer grabs her arm and lifts her into the air before dropping her back on the ground.

After the altercation, Azraya's father noticed bruises on her arms and legs.

"I think that wasn't right at all," her father Marlin Kokopenace said of the police incident. "She was only like 80 pounds and that cop was about 200 pounds."

"After [what happened in] that video, I don't think she would trust police again," he said.

According to Darwin Forbister, a friend of Azraya's, who was nearby, but did not witness the incident, Azraya was drunk at the time. She had also attempted suicide on two prior occasions.

"He's pretty much pulling her off the ground and being really rough with her, too rough, and that's just going too far," said Fobister, who viewed both videos.

"That cop was putting too much pressure on her [with his knee], and he should have just let a female cop do the work," he said, referring to the portion of the video where the officer pinned Azraya down with his knee.

Residents of Grassy Narrows First Nation believe that the videos show how local police don't know how to handle Indigenous teenagers who are feeling suicidal.

The Ontario Provincial Police stated that no internal investigations have been conducted regarding their officers' involvement with Azraya.

Despite reports that Azraya was picked up by police because she had missed curfew, the OPP refused to officially comment on why they had contact with her on the night she died.