Chapter eighteen

Chapter eighteen

"So, you are saying you didn't like the petition the advocate has drafted?" Avika heard her mother hum on the other end of the phone. "He has exaggerated a lot of things and even lied about some things; I don't like it. If I do this, I want to do it the right way, not in some twisted way," she stated firmly, indicating her stance was non-negotiable.

Avika paused for a moment, searching for the right words. Finally, she exhaled softly and said, "Mummy, could you share the draft with me? I want to read it once," her voice laced with uncertainty, wondering if Ishita would consent. To her relief, Ishita responded affirmatively, "Thik hai. Main tujhe whatsapp par bhej rahi hu. Tu padh kar bata mujhe ki tujhe sahi lagta hai ya nahi."

(Alright. I'll send it to you on WhatsApp. Let me know your thoughts on it after you've gone through it)

Avika nodded before she quickly remembered her mother couldn't see her nod, so she added, "Okay. Main dekh kar call karti hu aapko." After exchanging goodbyes, they ended the call, and Avika kept an eye on her phone, anticipating the arrival of the WhatsApp message.

(Okay, I'll take a look and call you back)

Ten minutes later, her phone chimed, and Avika grabbed it swiftly from the sofa. She then dedicated the next twenty minutes to meticulously going through the document on her phone, her focus unwavering. As she read, her brows knitted together in concentration, and gradually, a frown etched itself across her features. The draft was not only misleading but contained fabrications that even Avika could identify as false. It became clear to her why Ishita was hesitant to proceed with it.

Next, she called back, and Ishita's voice came through, asking, "Padh liya?"

(Did you read it?)

Avika let out a deep sigh, "Haa." She paused before continuing, "Aap unse keh dijiye na ki isme bohot kuch galat hai aur—"

(Yes) (Could you tell them that there are many inaccuracies in this and—)

"Avi, maine kaha unse lekin woh lawyer ne kaha ki agar yeh case jitna hai toh thoda jhooth toh bolna padega kyunki mere case mein divorce ke koi valid points hi nahi hai." Ishita clarified, leading Avika to ponder anxiously.

(Avi, I've already mentioned this, but the lawyer said that to win this case, some embellishments are necessary because my case lacks valid reasons for divorce)

Ishita went on, "He hasn't been unfaithful, nor has he physically harmed me," prompting Avika to interject. "What about emotional abuse?" There was a pause before Ishita responded in a subdued tone, "But how do we prove that? It's not as though he's been openly hurling insults at me or my family, right?" Feeling a surge of frustration, Avika's grip tightened on her phone.

"Dekh, Avi, abhi ke liye main uss lawyer ko mana kar rahi hu ki kuch naa kare," Ishita said, anticipating Avika's interruption and swiftly adding, "isiliye main tujhse keh rahi hu ki mere liye ek jagah dhundh de toh main waha shift ho jaungi. Abhi mujhe sirf iss aadmi se durr hona hai." Her voice carried a blend of distress and desperation.

(Listen, Avi, for now, I've told that lawyer not to proceed) (that's why I'm asking you to find a place for me so I can move there. Right now, all I want is to get away from this man)

Avika's voice grew warm and determined as she comforted her mother, "I will. Main jaldi aapke liye ek achi jagah dhundhti hu. Aap tension na lein. You'll be out of there very soon, okay?"

(I'll find a nice place for you quickly. Don't worry)

Hearing Ishita's sniffle, Avika's heart squeezed with pain. She detested the thought of her mother in tears. Even if she struggled with the right words of comfort, just being by her side would have made a difference.