Chapter six

Chapter six

There have been only a few instances when Kiaan felt like he didn't want to return home after work. He has always been a family person and coming home to his mother's warm smile was everything for him. Ever since his father's demise, all the responsibilities fell on his mother and even then, Kiaan knew that managing everything on her own was difficult but she never complained. He has seen his mother weeping alone when she thought her sons were asleep. He was only sixteen then while Yug was ten.

She started working two jobs to support her home and her children's school fees. Kiaan would notice as she would complete the household chores after coming back exhausted from work and plaster a smile for him and Yug. He hated seeing her so weak because the smile would be strained, her eyes looked tired, she would have dark circles under her eyes and she was even losing weight.

So, he decided to talk to her and ask her not to work so much because he didn't like seeing her so tired every day. Parul had smiled and simply said, "Main nahi karungi toh kon karega?" That was when Kiaan stood tall and determined as he gazed directly in her eyes and said, "Aapka beta."

(Who will if I don't?) (Your son.)

He started looking for jobs which he could do without telling his mother and he found one after days of searching. It was a simple one of being a cashier at a nearby local store and he was posted in the evening shift because he had school to attend. When he informed Parul about it and asked her to leave one of her jobs she started crying and hugged him tightly.

Kiaan worked hard juggling between his studies and the job but he was determined to not let his mother down. He had many sleepless nights because his exams were nearing and he had no time to study in the day. So, he stayed up at night to study.

Yug was a kid but Kiaan knew that his brother was mischievous not a troublemaker. He had even stopped demanding things from their mother like wanting new bag, books, toys and so on.

"Bhai, Maa itna kaam kyu karti hai? Aur woh humare saath kyu nahi rehti?" Yug had questioned Kiaan one day after they returned home from school. "Ab toh Dadda bhi nahi hai." The boy had grumbled lowly as he pouted but Kiaan heard it.

(Brother, why does mom work so much? And why doesn't she spend time with us?) (Now even Dad isn't with us.)

The question caught Kiaan off-guard but he had replied calmly. "Because we need money for everything Yug. Our school fees, uniform, books, pencil, bag, food and many more things. Now that Dad isn't with us, she has to look after everything but you should know that she loves us the same even if she spends little time with us because she isn't doing this purposely." He never wanted his little brother to grow up with resentment towards their mother. "And now I am trying to help her as well. So, would you also like to help her?"

Yug nodded immediately. "Good. All you have to do is not throw tantrums for whatever food you get to eat. Complete your homework after coming from school. Do not throw your things here and there and if you behave good, she'll be proud of you." Kiaan explained as he ruffled the boy's hair who grinned up at him.

Those were difficult times and some nights when Kiaan would return home more late than usual and Parul would get angry, he would apologise and collapse on the bed. But one night he returned at 2am and it pissed his mother but what she didn't know was that he was already in a bad mood.

The two of them got in an argument, Parul asking him to leave the job which resulted in Kiaan leaving the house in anger. He only went to the park nearby because he didn't want to fight with his mother. He knew she was worried but he couldn't give up this job until he found another decent one. That night he didn't feel like returning back knowing his mother would be crying to herself. And he was the cause of her tears.