Chapter eleven

Chapter eleven

Ishita vehemently refused Avika's idea to stay with her and the decision had upset and agitated Avika to no extent. Kiaan had noticed the shift in her behaviour since the argument she had with her mother a week back. She refused to talk to him about the matter, seemed lost in her thoughts, the smile was gone and he basically felt like whatever progress they had made in their relationship was all gone. She was back to being her old self; the one he didn't know at all.

It was a working day; however, he was just home early just because the thoughts of his wife plagued his mind and being at work with a distracted mind only helped him so much. As he entered through the door, he found his mother sitting on the couch and reading a book.

Kiaan sighed and went straight towards her before dropping on the couch and keeping his head on her lap. Parul looked startled but chuckled when she realised it was her big baby who seemed tired and exhausted. She kept her book aside and started caressing his hair with one hand and rubbed the length of his arm with the other.

Kiaan closed his eyes, feeling at peace because nothing beat the contentment that settled in his chest whenever he was in his mother's embrace. "Thak gaya?" She asked softly.

(Are you tired?)

He just hummed in return not having the energy to speak. His mind wandered towards the thoughts of his wife and he opened his eyes. Where was she? Was she in the kitchen? In their room? What was she doing?

"Kya soch raha hai?"

(What are you thinking?)

After a minute of silence he replied, "What do you do when after taking so much efforts in something," He paused, an ugly feeling coiling in his chest. "You feel like you are back to square one." His voice was a mere whisper.

He had no idea where his relationship with Avika was going or even if it was going somewhere or standing still. Nothing made sense at all. Everything felt like a big mess.

"Is it about your work? Did something happen?" Parul asked in a worried tone and Kiaan sat up giving her a reassuring smile. "Nothing serious, just a bad day at work." He didn't want to worry her about his marriage life.

She didn't look convinced at his answer but didn't probe further as well. "Ups and downs are a part of our life, Kiaan. There will be good days and bad days. Bad days teach you a lesson. Accept it and move forward. If you decide to hold on to your bad days and cry about it, you won't even be able to enjoy your good days because you were busy mourning over something which is already in the past. Live in the moment." She caressed his cheek with a tender expression on her face.

"Samjha?" He nodded. "Jaa ab, haath muh dhole, kapde badal le, main khana lagati hu." She pushed him a little and he shook his head at the change in her behaviour before getting up and leaving for his room.

(Got it?) (Go now, wash your hands and face, change your clothes, I will set up the food on the table.)

As Kiaan stood in front of his room, he heard some rustling coming from inside and wondered what was she doing. Then without another thought, he grabbed the doorknob and pushed the door open, revealing his wife in the process of wearing her clothes.

She looked at him wide eye, her t-shirt in her hand as she stood there in her pyjamas and bra on. Then as if realising what was going on, she let out a shriek and ran in the bathroom leaving him dumbfounded. What just happened?

A minute later, she stomped out of the bathroom and gave him a glare. "Aap itni jaldi kaise aagaye? Aur aagaye toh knock karke nahi aa sakte the?" She snapped and he raised his brows at her. Wasn't this his room as well?