Issue 38: Supersuit

Amity hummed to herself, tapping the steering wheel before turning into the driveway of Luz's house, placing her car in park and then stepping out. "Hope she won't mind a surprise visit...considering she hasn't answered my texts, which is so unlike her."

She then sighed. "I'm talking to myself again."

Amity was about to knock until she noticed something...the front window was completely shattered.

Her eyes widened and she rushed over, looking around. "What the heck...?"

"That's what I'm wondering..." Another voice said.

Amity's eyes widened even more and she whipped around with a yelp, raising her fists to see...a woman in her 40's with unique looking gray hair long enough to hide her ears.

The woman raised her hands. "Whoa, whoa! Calm down! Calm down!"

"Who are you?!" Amity cried. "What are you doing at my girlfriend's house?!"

The woman's eyes widened. "Wait...you're the girlfriend! Amity, right?"

"Great job at not looking even more suspicious! Who are you!?" Amity exclaimed.

"The name's Eda. I'm a friend of Luz's and I know about her secret identity. She babysits my kids in her off time." She explained, crossing her arms. "Has she seriously not told you about me?"

Amity blinked. "...she did mention an armored owl with adorable kids that she tried taking photos of, but they never sat still long enough."

Eda sighed. "Yeah, that sounds like them. But the armored owl is yours truly. I came to properly introduce myself to Luz's family since she keeps coming over all the time. Figured a cover story was in order."

"...not a bad idea." Amity said as she finally lowered her fists.

Eda grinned. "Thank you! So, what the heck happened with the window over there?"

"No idea...crud, did someone rob the place!?" Amity yelped.

Eda rushed over and kicked the door open, looking around. "Luz?! Luz's mom and or sister?!"

No response.

Amity rushed inside and began looking around before noticing the TV was still on and glass shards were on the ground, so if there was a break-in, it wasn't too discrete.

Eda began searching the house, even activating a piece of her suit and scanning the entirety. "No lifeforms...but her mom and sister went out."

"So, where is she?" Amity asked. "Maybe she's not home yet...does anything look missing?"

Eda just shrugged. "I don't live here, but everything looks fine..."

Amity hummed before suddenly, the TV changed channels to a 'Breaking News' program, with a reporter quickly standing with some police officers and other authorities.

"This just in, a startling event has begun! Our city's resident superhero has suddenly been taken hostage by a dark and unknown assailant! The suspect has yet to make any demands, but is threatening to kill Spider-Witch if any officers try anything! The suspect seems to have successfully taken down our hero in combat, so anxiety and fear are at an all time high!"

The camera then gestured upwards, showing Spider-Witch trapped in a large black web, like a fly waiting to be eaten. And standing on the top of the building was a demonic looking copycat with a suit that Amity instantly recognized.

Her eyes widened in horror as she shot up. "LUZ!!!"

Eda looked just as horrified before she then noticed the dark reflection of Spider-Witch. "...GROM?!"

"Wait, what?! You know what that thing is?! The thing that possessed Luz?!" Amity exclaimed.

"It's a demon, that's what!" Eda cried. "And its found a new host...stay here. I'm handling this." She ordered as her suit activated, forming around her impressively quickly.

Amity's eyes widened and she grabbed Eda by her arm and dragged her back over. "Not without me you're not!"

Eda's helmet raised, her eyes narrowed. "Amity, I get that you're worried about Luz, but she's gonna be okay. You however won't be if you go up there! Grom's too dangerous!"

"I've dealt with that thing before! Its weakness is sound!" Amity cried. "And if you think I'm just gonna sit here and clasp my hands together in fear while my girlfriend's in trouble, you're dead wrong!"

Eda stared at her, as if trying to search for any sign of hesitation or hopes of reason within her eyes, but could see nothing but a stubborn determination.

She then sighed and looked back at the TV before eventually pulling Amity over, holding her. "You're gonna find a way over there even if I force you to stay...so, you might as well go prepared. Hold on."

Amity's eyes widened in fear and she held onto Eda tightly as they flew off high into the air at a great speed.

Moments later, Eda landed at the front of her home and set Amity down, with the girl a little wobbly as she felt her feet touch solid ground again.

"Follow me." Eda said as she gestured for Amity to follow her, but then blinked. "You good...?"

Amity nodded slowly before she regained her balance and followed Eda inside, not caring about anything else other than the fact that Luz needed her help.

Eda then led Amity to her lab, beginning to search for something. "I made this a while ago after Grom reverted from demon with its own physical form to some kind of symbiotic parasite. Think of it as a bio-organic supersuit. Annnd I based it off a creature called an Abomination from my world."

Amity walked over. "Wait...you made your own 'Grom'? Won't it try to possess anything it wears?"

"Unlike Grom, this suit is about as alive as a tree is. It responds to your brain and will instinctively protect its host, but its incapable of sentient thought- AHA!" Eda cried as she grabbed a bright golden wristwatch and put it on Amity.

Amity tilted her head. "So...this activates it? How does the suit come out?"

"Turn it. Like so." Eda said as she turned the outside of the watch like a dial, and suddenly, a purple substance in all kinds of shades began enveloping Amity's body.

In mere seconds, Amity was covered head to toe in the substance, with it forming a mask similar to Spider-Witch's in purple and black, and even a hood over her head.

Amity looked at herself, her eyes wide. "WHOA..."

Eda grinned a bit at her own work. "The suit works the same way as Grom does, so you can make just about any weapon ya want...except a gun."

Amity just kept looking at her new supersuit. "Would've come in handy."

"It's a prototype and guns can't exactly be made from slime, whaddya want from me?" Eda sighed. "The suit shouldn't be weak to sound like Grom is, but it's a whole lot easier to take off. So, you ain't invincible."

Amity then focused for a second before her fingers suddenly shifted into large blade-like claws. She stumbled backwards in surprise before the blades retracted. "...THIS WILL DEFINITELY HELP."

Eda nodded. "C'mon! Let's go!" She said as she ran out of the lab, with Amity following.

And as she ran, she decided to try something. She made a sign with her hands and suddenly, a purple web-line shot out, attaching to the doorway.

Eda grinned at that. "Copying your girl, huh?"

"I don't exactly know how else to travel...web-swinging should be pretty easy." Amity lied, trying to forget how nauseous it made her.

"No time for you to try." Eda said as she held Amity again and then took off into the air again, extra boosters even coming from the back of her suit.

Amity held onto Eda before looking ahead. 'Hang on, Luz...'