Issue 16: Sittin' On A Tree

"Breaking news! The Spider has struck again with her golden foe, only this time, it's reached a conclusion. Only a mere few hours ago, our city's first mysterious superhero jumped into action and saved a young infant from a burning apartment complex, only to then be confronted by the man who called himself Golden Goblin. Moments later, a large bridge exploded and began to collapse. Miraculously, our Spider-themed hero saved everyone and there have been no reported casualties as hard as that is to believe."

Luz was watching the news report while on the bus, with Vee right beside her. Vee was watching out for Willow and Gus, almost praying they didn't see this report especially with what would be coming next.

"After the bridge fully collapsed, Golden Goblin began to fight our hero and their battle ended with him losing his mask, revealing him to be none other than Hunter Wittebane, son of tech mogul Caleb Wittebane. Police and detectives haven't made any public conclusions as to why an 18-year old would cause such destruction, but video evidence seems to suggest there is more to the story and that perhaps the young Wittebane wasn't doing this willingly."

Vee took a deep breath. "How many people do you think are gonna believe that?"

"The golden eyes are pretty hard not to spot, so...probably someone blind." Luz said in a weak joking tone.

Vee gave a weak smile before then seeing one familiar person walk onto the bus and sit across from them. Her heart sank when she saw who it was.

"...hey, Willow." Vee said. "What's...what's up?"

Willow was dead silent, looking like she hadn't gotten any sleep...and that she had been crying. She turned to Vee and Luz. "I've just learned that the boy who's been my friend since grade school is now in prison for flying around on a glider and blowing stuff up...I'm great..."

Luz's heart utterly shattered and she looked at her. "Y-you heard too...?"

Willow nodded slowly before taking a deep breath. "...Gus' dad didn't let him go to school, he texted me...so...it's just us three..." She said as her voice began to tremble.

Vee slowly placed a hand on Willow's. "H-hey, it's gonna be okay-"

"Is it, Vee?!" Willow suddenly boomed. "Cause it's not! Hunter's in prison! I don't know for how long nor do I understand why he did this!!! You both know I care about him a lot and I am not in the mood to be given the same lie of 'Everything's gonna be okay' right now!!!"

Some of the other students on the bus looked at her from her shouting, but quickly hid their faces when they saw the anger spreading across her face.

Even Vee looked scared, while Luz just stared at her in shock. Neither could really blame her though.

She was just as close with Hunter, if not closer. She had an obvious crush on him after all and knew him ever since the first grade.

"...I just don't feel like talking right now." Willow said, looking away from them and closing her eyes.

Luz and Vee didn't say a word after that. They weren't mad or scared of Willow, they just understood better than anyone.

And the guilt only began to crawl deeper into Luz's brain.

'It's my fault...'

School wasn't too hard thankfully. Just a few assignments and future projects, but all of them were the last things on Luz's mind. She couldn't stop thinking about Hunter and what had happened to him.

Someone or something did this to him, and he was likely going to send someone else after her. But why her specifically?

Luz sighed as she exited her second to last class of the day and stood out of her desk, ready to walk to the next one...until...