Issue 20: Lights Out

Spider-Witch leapt into the air, shooting a web and swinging away from her copies, who all just did the same and chased her around the empty lair.

She then bounced right off the wall and tried to punch one of them, only to suddenly get rammed out of the air by something that felt much harder than a simple human fist.

Spider-Witch landed on the floor before she backflipped right out of the way of one of her copies, smashing the ground in an attempt to keep her down.

"Okay, ladies!" Spider-Witch said as she stood up. "We can settle this with words cause four against one isn't-"

One of her doubles just lunged right at her, even firing a web on the wall behind her to pull herself over faster.

Spider-Witch quickly bent backwards, as if she was in a game of limbo, and dodged the punch. She then lunged back at her copy, swinging her foot at her, only for the copy to backflip away with the exact same agility.

Then, the other three copies started firing webs at Spider-Witch as if they were bullets, with the original quickly hopping up into the air and then landing on the ceiling.

"Hey! Lemme try that!" Spider-Witch said as she copied what she saw to the best of her ability, shooting out her hand and firing webs like her hand was a machine gun. "Pew! Pew! Pew!"

"Spider-Witch, focus! What is going on!?" Darius said over the earpiece.

"Well! There's four clones of me that are probably trying to kill me!" Spider-Witch exclaimed as she quickly leapt off the ceiling as one of the copies swung upwards to try and grab her.

"Wait, what!? I'm coming over!" Darius said, sounding like he was getting into his car.

Spider-Witch was about to respond before she was suddenly rammed in the chest by something once again, with her Spider-Sense even ringing just beforehand. She fell through the air, but slammed her hand against a wall and stuck to it to catch herself.

"Why isn't my Spider-Sense working?!" Spider-Witch asked herself. "It warns me of getting punched in the gut by nothing! It's as if it only works on those and not for anything-"

But then, her mask's now blue eyes widened when a realization hit her. She then leapt off the wall and right in the middle of all her copies.

Spider-Witch then raised her arms. "Okay, witches! How about we just hug it out?"

The four Spider-Witches then lunged forward at the original, who didn't move a muscle...and then?

The copies phased right through her.

Spider-Witch grinned wide under her mask and just then, her Spider-Sense rang for something behind her. She whipped around and shot two webs, yanking whatever she caught towards her.

And then, in seconds, there were two drones identical to the ones from earlier. And each one had the strange camera device.

Shortly after the drones shut down, the copies of Spider-Witch practically glitched out of existence.

Spider-Witch grinned. "They aren't cameras...they're projectors. All of this has been fake!"

She then looked around. "Alright, mysterious mastermind! I figured it out! You can arrest yourself if you'd like." She said cheekily before she heard the sound of a gun being loaded. Her Spider-Sense rang and she whipped around once again, shooting a web and pulling the gun and shooter out into the light.

And much to her amusement, it was none other than Maestro...but his hood was down to reveal his real face.

He was an adult man with some slight stubble on his face, light skin, and rather stunning dark hair that was slicked back that was a bit messy. His eyes were also wide with what looked to be nervousness.

"Maestro." Spider-Witch grinned as she tossed the gun out of his hands. "You really are all talk, aren't you?"

Maestro growled, his fear and nervousness still evident as he tried to punch the hero, only for his fist to be caught.

"Not gonna happen." Spider-Witch said as she suddenly webbed his wrists and ankles to the wall.

Maestro struggled, trying whatever he could to break free. He was almost thrashing around with his poor attempts.

"Aww, c'mon! Use your lasers...oh, wait. Those weren't real." Spider-Witch said before crossing her arms. "Now talk."

Maestro then gave up, looking defeated. "...you know, things were going so smoothly until you arrived with that fancy new suit! Why couldn't you have just left me be?! Did you really just want the glory back?"

Spider-Witch scoffed. "Glory? Is that all you were doing this for? Glory? I don't dress up and fight crime to get attention! I do it because I want to do the right thing!"

"Well, the 'right thing' got everyone in this city fawning over you." Maestro said with a roll of his eyes. "Some people have to work hard for that attention, y'know."

Spider-Witch then walked over, now looking more annoyed than ever. "You've certainly got my attention. Who are you?"

"...my name is Adrian Graye." He said. "And I just want to be seen for what I can accomplish! And before you ruined everything, I had it!!! This city was going to be eating out of the palm of-"

"Your hand." Spider-Witch finished. "Is faking monster attacks what you consider accomplishments?"

"It's what I used to do them that's important!" Adrian exclaimed, his eye twitching a little. "My illusion technology is revolutionary and even you thought that they were real! This whole city did! Caleb Wittebane thought I was deranged and that my technology was absolutely useless!!!"

Spider-Witch's eyes widened a bit. "You worked for Mr. Wittebane?"

"I did and that man fired me! Said I was 'unstable' just for being the tiniest bit stubborn!" Adrian cried. "He denied something that could've changed the world...but then, you showed up. I realized I didn't need him to get what I deserve! All I needed was a costume and an elaborate story to get what I wanted...and I will get what I want! These little webs won't stop me!"

Spider-Witch took a step back. "About that...did you get all that, Officer Blight?"

Adrian's eyes widened. "What?"

Then, seconds later, the door opened and in walked Officer Darius himself, with his pistol and badge in his hands. "For property damage, attempted murder of an officer, and this incredibly delirious hoax? You're under arrest, Maestro."

Adrian hung his head low, his eyes wide as he processed that he had lost.

Spider-Witch reached under her mask and then gave Darius the earpiece back. "Here you go, Officer...ya think we'll ever team up like this again?"

Darius sighed...and then smiled slightly. "Maybe."

Spider-Witch smiled wide under her mask before she suddenly cleared her throat. "Spider-Cop has won the respect of the no nonsense Officer Blight, and is now ready to swing into the night to deliver even more justice-"

"It will be a yes if you stop doing that voice." Darius said, his eyes narrowed.

"...let's stick with that 'maybe' then!" Spider-Witch said cheekily as she swung off.