Aftermath

Irayen woke with a terrible headache. Likely the result of another night spent sobbing into her pillow. The pain in her head mirrored the ache in her heart. There was sunlight bleeding through the curtains, she had overslept again. Waves of nausea hit her, and robbed her of the meager contents of her stomach. She had been so drained by the morning sickness. Still, it also brought her a strange comfort. It meant that her child was growing. She smiled as she ran her hands across her abdomen, feeling the slight bulge. There was a knock at the door and she jumped.

"Just a moment."

She quickly threw on a loose robe to hide her stomach and sat back down, careful to keep her expression neutral.

"You may come in."

"Good morning my lady."

Farida, her maid, bustled in and pulled open the curtains. Sunlight streamed in and glinted off the silvery hair of the man who entered. He carried a large bag and gave Irayen a warm smile.

"Good morning to you, madame. I am Doctor Wahid."

Irayens' heart dropped.

"Your husband has asked me to look in on you. I understand you have been unwell."

There was a heavy pit in her stomach. If Rifat discovered her pregnancy it would complicate things. Irayen did her best to smile.

"Oh, that was so thoughtful of him. I am a lucky woman to be so treasured. It really is unnecessary though. I'm certain it's only stress. All of the recent events were terribly upsetting for me. Surely you understand."

Doctor Wahid chuckled and crossed to her, setting his bag on the side table. He wasn't going to be pacified with her excuses. Rifat must already be suspicious of her illness.

"Of course my lady, I'm sure it was all a terrible shock. But you know, that can have a negative impact on your health. It wouldn't hurt to be sure now, would it?"

He unclasped his bag with a snap. Irayen squeezed her eyes shut, and held back a groan.

Rifat sat in the dining hall, absently devouring a sumptuous breakfast. He piled his platter with salted meats and fresh hot flatbreads, finishing it off with a mound of fresh fruit. Juice dribbled down his chin from a particularly ripe mango as Doctor Wahid was escorted in. The doctor beamed, and Rifat motioned for him to speak.

"Well Mr. Kazeem, I have excellent news for you. Upon examination, I have found that your wife is not sick. It would seem that you are on your way to becoming a father."

Rifat dropped the mango, wiping his fingers on a towel. He stroked his coarse beard, eyes gleaming.

"You are certain?"

"I would estimate that she is already four or five months along."

"Would you say that she knew?"

The doctor nodded.

"It does seem rather unlikely for her to have been unaware of it for this long."

Rifat stood, fingering his lips, deep in thought. He strolled past the doctor, abandoning the food he had barely touched.

"Thank you, Doctor Wahid. Mr. Naseer will see to it that you are compensated and escort you to your horse."

He made his way down the hall to Irayens' room and threw the door open, letting himself in.

"My darling," He purred "I just heard the news from the doctor! What a delightful surprise!"

Irayen smiled back at him with red rimmed eyes. Her lips trembled slightly. RIfat wrapped her in his arms and kissed her neck. Her skin crawled at his touch. His breath flicked across her cheek as he murmured into her ear.