A Shadow

"It's not an uncommon teaching." Akua said with a shrug. "But truthfully, demons were created by the gods to be their lesser servants."

Neira frowned.

"So how did it become a common teaching that demons are evil?"

"I imagine it's because, unlike angels, we have our own agency. We are less powerful than angels, but more difficult for the gods to control."

His expression was blank, without a hint of emotion. Foreboding clawed at Neiras' stomach.

"You mean some demons may become evil?"

Her voice was quiet, she fought to make it sound as calm and impassive as Akuas.

"It's certainly not outside the realm of possibility. Even angels can fall." A stiffness settled into his voice, his eyes growing hard. Neira fidgeted at the worn edges of her shirt, studying her gritty shoes. Silence hung between them for a long moment.

"You needn't worry my lady. I agreed to serve you for the goddesses and I will keep my word."

Neira managed to give a small nod and a thin smile. Quiet overtook them once more, the only sound a swishing of sand, shifting beneath their feet. The sun rose higher, casting long shadows ahead of them.

A shrill cry ripped through the air, snapping their attention to Tawny. She was facing away from them, her eyes fixed on some distant point. Neira turned to see what had upset her. Heat waves warped the visage, everything pulsing and vibrating, but there against the rosy hues of sunrise was a shadow.

It grew as they watched, solidifying and spreading. Neira squinted against the morning light, trying to get a clearer picture. Someone or something was definitely coming in their direction. It looked to be a group, perhaps even a caravan.

A memory of armed guards flashed in her mind and her breath caught. Panic flashed through her. No, they wouldn't recognize her anymore because of the glamor. There was no more need to fear being seen. Still her heart thundered. She pressed a hand to her chest forcing herself to take deep slow breaths. Turning back, her eyes found Akua.

Seeing his brilliant ember eyes she smiled. Then she sucked in a startled breath as the realization hit.

"Akua you need to cast a glamor on yourself! Hurry! Before whoever that is gets close enough to see you!"

Akua gave her a look of mock dismay.

"Are you ashamed of the way I look my lady?" His mournful pout didn't quite mask the twinkle of mirth in his eyes. "I thought I was rather dashing."

A chill ran through her despite the heat, her voice rising in pitch.

"This is no time for jokes Akua! You have glowing red eyes and skin the color of an onyx stone! It will not take them long to see that you are not human!"

Akua chuckled "It's sweet of you to worry for me, my lady, but there's no need. I have been glamoured this entire trip. You still see my true form because of our contract." He pointed to the amulet strung about her neck.

Her internal trembling slowed. She glowered at him, angry more at the tears that pricked her eyes than anything.

"You might have mentioned that a bit sooner."

He held his hands out in front of him, still smiling. "You're right, I'm sorry."

She let out a slow breath, rubbing away the pesky dampness trying to slip down her cheeks. Her face felt hot, she turned away, keeping her eyes on the sand below her.

"Hey," He reached out, the gentle pressure of his hands against her shoulders drew her gaze up.

"I am sorry." His tone was softer now, his eyes earnest. "I shouldn't have teased you. You've been through a lot, but you're safe now, alright?" He held her gaze. "You're not alone in this."