Chapter 6 - Tension

The gates open after Erwin's speech to the Survey Corps, and they all begin to ride out into the grassy fields. Blake was stationed with Jaden in Captain Levi's group diagonally behind Erwin's troupe to the right side. There was some distance from the commander and their troupe, but the commander was still visible. 

This mission was to find a titan and capture them for Hange's experiments to find out more secrets about the titans and gain the upper hand. Not only that, but to of course reduce the number of titans along the way. "Hey Levi, how do you guys plan on capturing these things?", Jaden asked sarcastically, trying to get under Levi's skin; implying that the Survey corps was stupid and didn't have the equipment nor the brains to capture a living titan. "Tch! Were you not paying attention during Erwin's speech brat? Don't worry about it. Just send out a signal when you see a lone titan, after that Erwin, Hange and I will take care of the rest.", Levi stated annoyed at his stupid question. 

"Jaden, leave it be. The have a promising chance to get one with their equipment. We just need to find a lone titan and keep other titans at bay while they capture it, okay?", Blake explained in her emotionless personality. Jaden gritted his teeth out of anger. Not just because he wasn't paying attention and made a fool of himself, but because Blake was trying to defend Levi and the Survey Corps. "Whatever, it was just a question.", Jaden countered back annoyed.  

About ten minutes went by before they had even spotted a titan, which was unusual. But nonetheless they found a couple sprawled out through the field. "Why don't we just kill the few and capture the one? Why does it have to be alone, so half-assed.", Jaden remarked irritated. "If they have to fight with more than one, it increases chances of people dying and being unable to have the help they need to capture the one they chose. It's easier and less risky than picking one out of a group of titans. Though, I'm guessing that choice is their last resort.", Blake replied as she thought of her friend's question. Levi hummed in agreement. 

"Why have you been defending them all day?!", Jaden yelled angrily. "I'm not defending them Jaden; I just know how they think. And honestly, it is a smart move. They have the equipment and a good plan. If I were them, I too would like to keep the casualties lower than need be.", Blake explained calmly despite her friend yelling at her and accusing her. "Whatever.", Jaden replied to his best friend's response as he looked away irritated. 

"Seems a squad needs our help, let's go brats and don't get killed.", Levi demanded as the troupe saw a flare not too far in the distance. "Yes sir!", the group replied as they followed their captain.  As captain Levi's squad approached, there was one soldier remaining. Blake saw how the soldier was about to make the wrong move, causing their death and took action. Within a flash, the titan was taken down. Levi hadn't even noticed until the titan had fallen, and his soldier stood on top as it fell. 

'How the bloody hell is she so fast.', Levi thought to himself before ordering his squad to help with the remaining titans. Once all the titans were taken down, except for one remaining titan, Levi shot the flare signaling a single titan sighting. Since his whole squad was fine after taking care of the swarm of titans, he figured they'd take the last one captive as well as save some time and energy. 

Levi saw Erwin and Hange's flare of understanding, signaling they were ready. "It's not an abnormal titan, lead it to that flare.", Levi demanded as he pointed to the slowly disappearing smoke from Erwin's flare. Blake looked far into the distance and saw Hange's squad heading towards Erwins' as well. 'They plan to lead it to those tree's and capture it there. We just need to get that titan to them.', Blake thought to herself. 

"We're acting as bait?! What the hell? I thought you wanted less casualties!", Jaden exclaimed annoyed. "Jaden, enough. We're in a closer formation than usual in case a single titan was spotted, that way if we're closer we have more people nearby to help and get the titan to the tree's faster. We need to trust they know what they're doing. I already see Erwin's squad ready.", Blake explained, trying to calm her friend down.