Common Ground

"Are you serious about this?" asked (Y/N), turning into the grand stairwell with Marlene. The pair walked toward the Great Hall for breakfast, suspecting things would be just as crazy as normal. "It could be dangerous," she added, concern flooding her otherwise smooth voice. Nonetheless, a small smile appeared on her lips, even more so to see Marlene understood where her concern was coming from.

"I'm sure, like the boys, I trust you with the potion," stated Marlene, brushing some of her blonde locks over her shoulder and straightening out her black robes. Her grin remained unmoved as she began to think about the conversations she'd had with each of the boys and (Y/N) how it all just made her more determined to become an Animagus, although for her own reasons. She knew it was dangerous and probably against the school rules and against the ministry if they didn't register their ability, but it was still something she wanted to do. The danger meant nothing; all she wanted was to understand her best friend more and ensure (Y/N) wasn't alone when she struggled to control her unique abilities.

"I wonder if Lily handled the drama with Isolde and Allegra," spoke Remus from behind, Sirius next to him as the pair jogged to catch up with the girls. Sirius could only roll his eyes, clearly recalling the nightmare Christmas break had been, the constant fighting and never-ending yelling between the two. Allegra's insults always follow her favorite three words of I hate you.

"Speaking of Lily Flower, reckon she'd go with me to Valentine's dance?" asked James, walking with Peter just in front of the girls. The small group walked down the last few steps, the large golden doors within view.

"I'd rather kiss the giant squid," replied Lily, stepping through the doors leading to the chilly courtyard, the drizzly rain dampening her fiery hair. Isolde was on one side, with Severus on the other. The dark-haired Slytherin boy seemingly ignored the four to torment him. James's intended insult had been caught in his throat the moment Remus harshly jabbed his shoulder, whereas Sirius had been met with a whack across the back of the head by (Y/N). Peter, too, had been stopped by the warning glare Marlene had sent his way, thrust, stamping out any confidence he might have gained to start something on his own.

"How do you do that so easily?" asked Isolde, a chuckle escaping her lips as James rubbed his shoulder and glared at Remus, who was fairly content ignoring it. Sirius had let out a loud ow before reaching for his head. He'd been met with (Y/N) grinning innocently at him with mischief alight in her eyes. He'd only managed to stick his tongue out before a grin pulled the corner of his lips.

"Hey, Snivellus," called Allegra, as if she was the coolest girl in the castle; a wickedly sweet smile graced her lips as if she was unaware the name was meant as a way to torment the Slytherin boy in question. She'd heard James and Sirius refer to him as such and mindlessly followed along.

"That's not my name," harshly replied Severus, not bothering to spare the brunette muggle-born a glance. Instead, his cold glare was aimed at the three that took almost all opportunity given to torment him.

"How about teaching me some of those spells you've been working on?" commented Allegra as if ignoring the previous statement entirely. Her smile turned victorious upon gaining his attention, his dark eyes filled with a mixture of anger and surprise that someone knew what he was doing, or at least someone he deemed an enemy knew what he was doing. "Maybe you could give me some advice," she pestered, almost as if she was blind to the obvious.

"Pay attention in class," bluntly stated Severus before walking off into the Great Hall, only saying a quiet goodbye to Lily and Isolde before doing so. He seemed oblivious to the chuckles left in his wake and the almost compliment James sent his way. Nice on Snivellus.

"Er ... Rude," called Allegra, an offended expression painting on her features as she stomped off into the hall, wanting to get a seat and enjoy the food before all her favorites were gone. Upon entering, she was met with the same people mingling in groups, another reminder of how lonely and invisible she truly felt. However, she painted a smile and acted as if she was a queen.