pulpo

tw: this chapter will contain descriptions of self harm

-

She woke up, rubbing her eyes. The sunlight streamed through the window, the crystal suncatcher fracturing the bright beams across the room.

The purple sheets were still warm as Hallie pulled the comforter up, yawning. To her right, the blankets were pulled back.

She sat up and picked up her shirt from last night, pulling it over her head. Slowly standing up, the carpet soft against her feet. Hallie examined the room around her. On the nightstand were Moon's tarot cards, piled by a selenite tower. Crystals lined her windowsill, soaking in the sunlight. She picked up a purple rock, running her thumb over the smooth edge.

"Good morning, sleepy," a soft voice said from the end of the room.

She turned to see Moon holding two plates of pancakes. Hallie set the crystal back down. "Sorry, I was just..."

"It's okay," Moon smiled, placing the plates on her dresser and moving towards her. "It's amethyst. It's really good for stress relief. You can have it if you'd like."

"Oh, that's fine. You don't have to."

"No, you should have it. I have a ton."

Hallie pocketed the stone and smiled, feeling slightly sheepish. "Thanks."

"I made banana pancakes!" Moon handed her a plate.

"Thanks, Moon. You really didn't have to do all this," she said, sitting beside her on the bed.

"Don't feel guilty. I wanted to," Moon said, planting a soft kiss on Hallie's cheek. "The amethyst will help with that."

Hallie laughed. "How long have you been up?"

"A few hours. You weren't joking when you said you like to sleep in," she replied.

"Okay, well, your bed is also so much better than mine. I was savoring it."

Moon giggled. "I like to wake up early so I can do my meditations, my yoga, make breakfast, you know!"

"Damn. I just have a bottle of Gatorade because I'm always hungover," Hallie shrugged, taking a bite of her pancakes.

"Well, maybe I can teach you some morning meditations."

Hallie smiled, but before she could respond, her phone rang, Robby's name at the top.

"What's up, Rob?" She placed the phone to her ear.

"Hallie, you need to come to the LaRusso's."

"Why? I'm at Moon's. I don't want to-"

"Mom's here."

She paused, taken aback. "What?"

"Yeah, she's back from Cabo. She wants to talk to us."

Without responding, Hallie hung up the phone. "Shit."

-

The LaRusso's living room was wide and spacious, but felt tiny. Hallie's mom sat crying on the couch, Robby on the neighboring sofa. Hallie stood next to Robby, arms crossed.

"I'm sorry," she whispered, using a tissue to dab at her eyes. "I'm sorry. I- Cabo was a mistake."

"Could've told you that," Robby said.

"I know. I, uh... I know that I haven't been there for you and I... God, it's been hard for me."

Of course.