all in

They sat in the dojo. Kreese and Hallie's dad sparred, Kreese's arms around his neck in a chokehold.

"Okay, pay attention," said Hallie's dad. "He's got my neck, I've got his elbow. If I try to break out..."

"I dig in and I put him to sleep," said Kreese.

"If I go for his ribs..." he demonstrated.

"He completely exposes his chest."

"Two difficult choices," Hallie's dad said. "What do you do?"

The students looked around, none of them knowing the answer. After a moment, Hallie's dad kicked Kreese, causing them both to fall to the ground.

"You damn the consequences and you power forward," he said, standing back up.

"You may get hurt, but nobody wins by doing nothing," Kreese said.

"You make a choice. You make a move. You go..." Hallie's dad looked around at his students. "All in."

-

That evening, Hallie and her friends planned on going to Applebees for dinner.

"Do you agree with what Sensei said today?" Miguel asked, leaning against the passenger window in Hallie's car.

She hesitated. "About what?"

"Going all in."

"I don't know," she shrugged, braking at a red light. "I guess it depends on the situation."

Miguel nodded slowly. "I think I'm gonna ask Sam out again."

Hallie glanced at him. "Now? Are you sure it's not too soon?"

"I don't know, but... I'm gonna do a big gesture. Go all in."

"You know, my dad is not historically known for giving the best advice," she laughed.

"I know, but I feel like it's time," he said. "Plus, I need to act fast before Robby steals her again."

She shot him a look.

"I know, I'm sorry... but I'm already decided on this," he explained.

She chuckled, shaking her head as she pulled into the parking lot.

Once they got inside, Aisha, Moon, and Tory were already sitting at the booth, snacking on their appetizers.

"There you guys are!" Aisha smiled. "We were starting to think you weren't coming."

"Are you kidding? I would never miss a hangout with my girls," Hallie said, sitting next to Aisha. "And Miguel."

Miguel smirked. "Actually, I have some... homework to do. I'll catch up with you guys in a minute."

They watched as he walked over to a smaller table a few feet away from them, opening his computer to work on something.

"...Okay," Aisha laughed.

"Weird," Hallie said.

"Oh my God, Yasmine has the same bikini as me," Moon laughed, looking at her phone.

Aisha rolled her eyes. "Tell her she can stay in France."

Hallie laughed. "It's definitely been nice not having to deal with her. Sorry, Moon."

"Honestly, we haven't really talked since everything went down with the front wedgie thing," she frowned.

"I'm sorry. I know you guys were good friends."

Tory grabbed an ice cube from her glass and tossed it at Miguel.

"Oops, must've slipped out of my hand," Tory smiled. "What are you even doing over there?"