counterbalance

The next day, Hallie met her dad and Miguel in the dojo for her first session. She was still a bit hesitant to believe she was doing this.

She faced Miguel on the mat.

"Alright, Diaz," Hallie's dad spoke, "show her what you've learned."

"Woah, woah, I don't think this is right, Sensei," Miguel said.

"You don't think what's right?"

"She's a girl. I'm not gonna..." he stammered.

"And? I thought you said women were equal to men," her dad narrowed his eyes.

"I did say that. I didn't mean it like that. I meant-"

"Alright, then show her women are equal, and give her everything you've got. Fight!"

Neither of them moved. Miguel simply stared at Hallie's dad.

"Don't just stand there. Fight!"

Miguel readied himself, getting into a fighting stance. He frowned. "I'm sorry."

But before he could punch her, something in Hallie pushed her to move. She grabbed his arm before it could collide with her, bending it to the side before kneeing him in the groin.

Miguel groaned and stepped back, hunching over.

Hallie's dad nodded. "Good."

Hallie looked Miguel up and down. "Sorry," she breathed.

They spent the next hour of the session going over the basics for Hallie. Jab punches, common kicks and blocks, and the like. By the time training was over, her entire body was sore, and a few fresh bruises were beginning to appear. But it was somehow... nice to spend that time with her dad, learning something new.

Miguel and Hallie walked out of the dojo.

"Hey, uh..." Hallie started. "Sorry for kicking you in the balls earlier."

Miguel smiled. "You're good."

"Let me make it up to you. Wanna go to the diner? On me," she offered.

He grinned. "Alright."

They made their way to Hallie's car. After getting settled in their seats, she turned the radio on to play Bikini Kill.

"Who is this?" Miguel asked after a moment.

"Bikini Kill. You've never heard?"

He shook his head.

"I love them," she grinned, rolling down her window and turning up the music.

They drove for a few moments as the sun set before reaching the diner.

"I'm starving," Miguel said as they sat down at a booth.

"Same. Have you been to this diner before?"

"No," he said.

"Dude, it's my favorite place literally ever. It's so fucking good," Hallie grinned.

The waiter approached them and asked what they'd like. Hallie ordered an Impossible burger, a milkshake, and fries. Miguel ordered the same as her, but with a regular burger.

"So," Miguel said after the waiter had left, "you go to West Valley High, right? I feel like I haven't seen you."

"Well, I don't go that often."

"Why not?"

"I just couldn't be bothered. I mean, I go sometimes so that they won't call my parents, but even when I do go, I skip class a lot," she explained.