molting

It was early morning. The sun had just risen, and Hallie and her fellow Cobra Kai students had followed her dad out to some junkyard. They stood in the middle of it, with Hallie's dad standing on top of an old car in front of them.

He opened his can of beer, taking a long swig before looking back down at his students.

"You've trained hard. You've gotten stronger, tougher, faster. You've done your best. You're ready for this tournament, am I right?!"

"Yes, Sensei!" Hallie and her classmates exclaimed in unison.

"Wrong!" Her dad threw his beer can on the ground, droplets splattering against their clothes. "Your best ain't shit! If you wanna win the All Valley Under-18 Karate Tournament, you gotta give me better than your best. Which is why from now on, you're gonna get my worst. Do you understand?"

"Yes, Sensei!"

"Are you losers?"

"No, Sensei!"

"Are you nerds?"

"No, Sensei!"

"Are you sure?"

"No, Sensei!"

He collapsed his head in his hands.

-

They spent the rest of the time training rigorously, performing activities Hallie was pretty sure would serve no purpose for the tournament. They ran through tires, smashed old cars with wooden beams, walked on a tiny platform above scraps of metal. It started out pretty rough - at one point, Aisha tripped on a tire, causing everyone behind her to fall as well.

"You wanna win, you gotta be hungry," he said, passing out pieces of beef jerky. "You guys hungry?"

"Yes, Sensei!"

"Good!" He took a bite. "Cause so are they."

Suddenly, a group of barking German Shepherds came running towards them. The students scattered, yelling in fear. Hallie jumped on top of an old car just as a dog approached her. She took her piece of jerky and tossed it down to him, watching as he snatched up the food and ran off.

"Don't be afraid! They smell fear!" Her dad was yelling.

She watched as her classmates moved frantically, thinking they could outrun dogs. Miguel jumped on top of a car, following Hallie's lead. She looked at Hawk, who was standing paralyzed against a car, a snarling dog getting closer to him every second, until-

Jesus.

-

The next day, Hallie and Miguel sparred under her dad's supervision. A few minutes had passed with no winner. Every attack of Miguel's, Hallie blocked with ease, and vice versa. There were a few close calls for both of them, but the match continued on.

"Alright, that's enough! Save some for the tournament," Hallie's dad instructed.

They stepped back from one another.

"Why are we the only ones here, Sensei?" Miguel panted.

"Because let's face it," her dad replied, "you two are the only chance I've got at winning this thing."

"So what, I'm your best student?" Miguel grinned.

Hallie hit him. "Don't flatter yourself. Look what we're competing with."

Miguel walked over to his backpack. He picked up his phone, laughing. Hallie peered over his shoulder to see a silly photo of him and Sam.

"What's so funny?" Hallie's dad asked.