lull

The dojo was as loud as ever, students milling around, talking to one another. Kreese had said something about a special training today in the woods, so they were all just waiting. Miguel and Hawk stood buzzing with excitement about Kreese's words.

Hallie didn't trust Kreese as far as she could throw him.

"Everybody get your gis on. Training starts in five minutes," her dad called, stepping out from his office.

They murmured, confused.

"Yeah, what's wrong?" He asked.

"Nothing's wrong. I just... thought we were going to the woods for a special training today," Miguel answered, gesturing to Kreese, who was standing in the office doorway.

Hallie's dad looked at Kreese, then back to his students. "What's happening in the woods?"

"Well, I thought it was a good time to separate the men from the boys," said Kreese, stepping up.

Aisha, Tory, and Hallie stared.

"And the girls too, I suppose."

"How?" Asked Hallie's dad.

"Coyote Creek," Kreese smirked.

He sighed. "I'm not sure they're ready for that."

Whatever this "special training" was, if it was enough to make her dad nervous, Hallie wasn't too inclined to participate.

Kreese scoffed. "There's only one way to find out."

"We're ready, Sensei," Hawk said. "We wanna prove ourselves."

He stared.

"It's up to Sensei Lawrence," Kreese said. "If he says it's okay, then, and only then, is it okay."

After a moment, Hallie's dad nodded. "Alright, well, what are you waiting for? Let's go."

-

A good half hour later, they were all standing in a clearing in the woods. Sunlight streamed through the trees as the students gathered, leaves crunching beneath their feet. Kreese had divided them up into teams of some sort according to headband color. Wearing red headbands: Hawk, Aisha, and a few other students. Wearing black: Hallie, Tory, Miguel, and others.

"Gentlemen," Kreese said. "Ladies. Welcome to Coyote Creek. You've been split into two teams: red and black. The goal is to capture as many headbands as possible from the other side. Today, the people across from you are not your friends."

Hallie and Aisha looked at one another.

"They're not your brothers," Kreese continued. "They are the enemy. The last team standing wins."

"How do we get the headbands?" Miguel asked, already determined to win.

"By any means possible. No rules."

"Use your judgement. This is just a training exercise," said Hallie's dad.

"Correct, but remember - this is your life," Kreese said, holding up a red headband. "You lose it... you die."

Dramatic.

Before anyone could say anything else, someone jogged across the leaves to join the group. It was the oldest guy in their class, Raymond. Only now he had braided his beard into some weird twist.

"Sorry I'm late, guys," he said breathlessly. "Traffic on the 118 was a real bitch. Put Coyote Creek into the nav... nothing came up."

"What have you done to yourself?" Hallie's dad frowned.