different but same

Hallie sat on a bench by the skate park, reading My Year of Rest and Relaxation. It was a nice day, not too warm. She flipped through the pages, occasionally glancing at a nearby group of skater girls.

As she sat having her y/n moment, she looked up to check on her brother, who was practicing tricks on his skateboard.

Ugh.

"Robby!" She called, standing up.

After a moment, he noticed and jogged back to meet her.

"What, Hal?"

"Forgetting something?" She held out a white helmet, smirking.

Robby rolled his eyes. "Come on. I don't need that."

"Well, I don't want you to get a traumatic brain injury," Hallie said, shoving the helmet into his hands. "Plus, it'll cover up your awful haircut."

He glared at her.

"Kidding," she smiled sweetly, teasing.

"You're an asshole," he said, but put on the helmet anyways.

"Yeah, well, I have to go. I'm meeting Miguel and Aisha at the park. Text me if you need me?"

Robby nodded. "See you, Hal."

Hallie drove to the park, where Miguel, Demetri, and Aisha were sitting on a bench. Hawk stood behind the bench, sparring with a younger boy from Cobra Kai.

She jogged up and squeezed in between Miguel and Aisha.

"Hey, guys," she grinned.

"Hey," Aisha said, not looking up from her phone.

"Miguel, how are you feeling?"

"He's still upset," Demetri responded. He turned towards Miguel. "Come on, eat something. It'll make you feel better."

"I told you I'm not hungry, man," Miguel responded.

"Oh, then-" Hallie snatched his bag and took half of his sandwich for herself.

"I still think you're overreacting," Demetri said.

"I'm not overreacting, dude," Miguel replied. "I know what I saw.

"Alright, so you saw her eating dinner with some chode," Hawk said, kicking the young student in the face. "It's probably just her brother or something."

Hallie felt a twinge of guilt. She still hadn't told Miguel or Robby about each other. Miguel didn't even know Robby was her brother. Not that she was hiding it, it just... hadn't come up. And it's a little late now to mention it offhandedly.

But she was starting to regret not mentioning it. She knew Robby was getting closer with Sam, and didn't do anything to stop it. And now Miguel was hurt, and it's kind of her own fault. And if Miguel found out Hallie was twins with Robby this whole time?

"No, dude- brothers don't look at their sisters like that," Miguel was saying.

"Depends what part of the country you're in," Demetri shrugged.

"Look, I just don't want what happened to Sensei to happen to me," Miguel frowned.

"Alright, so you go over to this kid and beat his ass so he doesn't have the chance," said Hawk.

"...Or," Hallie furrowed her brow, "you could talk to Sam. As I have suggested you do multiple times."

"I'm with Hallie," said Demetri. "Don't listen to Eli."

"It's Hawk," he said.

"Yeah, whatever. The fact is, Sam's given you no reason not to trust her."

"Yeah, I guess you're right," Miguel nodded after a moment.