Chapter 2 - Erman

For one solid a week you could get a knocker upper just about anywhere in Bricarth. In Trivale it was two and a half solid a week. Erman Cummings didn't pick the price. The teamster's union did, which knocker uppers were a proud member of. Something about being the only tradesman in a town its size made the price go up. Erman picked up the work at thirty-five after getting seedy working in United coal mines. It set Erman back thirty solids for a reliable windup watch, about a week's wages. He synced it up every midnight with the bells of the Tallimon temple. Erman marched out to the farms seven miles from the edge of Trivale after the midnight bells. With his cough it took him double the time it would take a healthy twenty something.

          With his walking stick Erman crossed Peaker's Bridge round six. On the stone pillar he kicked his boots against the stone knocking the mud off them. Straightening his coat, he cursed the Birrells for not locking up their damned goats. The Birrells bought the farm from the Mutlers two years ago, and every damned day after Erman had to dodge Tally who Erman was certain was a spawn from the hells. No matter how much his union representatives wrote the Birrells they often left the goat to roam the property freely leaving Erman to contend with its moods. Tonight, was especially eventful as Tally wouldn't let Erman get close to the residence. Tally cut him off, kicking his hoofs it charged Erman. He didn't have time to dodge taking a blow right to the stomach falling into the mud. Erman kicked at the goat and yelled out in the night, "Here's your damned wake up call."

          Carrie Birrell was certainly going to write to the union about Erman using profanity rather than a knock to wake them up, but Erman had reached his peak. Let em write, he would set em straight, next time he would shoot the goat. He picked off the rest of the mud with his walking stick. The Sheriff was particular about street messes, and smells. Erman had been cited before for voluntary spread of miasma. The magistrate threw the case out, but the Sheriff warned Erman the next time he brings in farm pestilence he would spend a night in jail. Erman was increasingly becoming annoyed that knocking was getting as risky as mining.

          Erman came up to the first residence in Trivale round 6:15 am. Taking his long pole he tapped the window calling out the time, "6:15 Mrs. Callway, have a great Tuesday."

          About halfway through Northside Erman took a seat on the October memorial bench to have a coughing fit. Erman's rag was full of phlegm, the mucus was bloody and hard. The practitioner told him it was his lungs. Erman was still chapped about paying three solid for something he already knew, even more chapped about the treatment. Steam baths with cloves will clear the mucus out. The Cummings could barely scrap together a hot bath a month. Erman dry-washed most days, and took a pot of water for Sunday. Forget about getting cloves those were twenty solid a ounce. Erman cursed the goat again for working him up, wouldn't be so tired if not for the goat.

          Half past six most of the town was showing signs of movement. Erman's legs were getting tight. They always got tight close to the end of his shift. He looked forward to having breakfast with his two sons and wife before reading the paper and going to bed. He would complain about the goat and reminisce about the days with the Mutlers. His wife would gently remind him that life wasn't much different without them, and Erman would reluctantly agree.

           Erman was so lost in his own head he hardly could comprehend the sight in front of him. He hadn't been outside of Bricarth, knew a few who had. His neighbor Youlin, who was a sailor for the Bricarth Trading Company, passed some time ago. When Erman helped the wife with packing away his things she showed him Youlin's journal. It was full of sketches of trees from faraway lands. Magnificent green was written in the margins of almost all the flora. Erman had wondered what it would be like to see something that was magnificent green. He saw that now.