AA V1 Alagore, Chapter 9

Start from the beginning

The connection was strong based on the short distance from Staff Sergeant Kurt Forest's spotting scope, right next to the laptop. Basecamp, however, was proving to be a more significant issue. They were about nine or ten kilometers away in this terrain, so that he could understand the problem. On Earth, they had grown used to their infrastructure for communication, able to speak with anyone, anywhere, anytime. Here, there was no such infrastructure. In contrast, while they could reach HQ in this environment, the mountains and the number of jagged hills that made up this rough terrain only made matters work. He knew regional communication would improve when they built terrestrial stations to boost the signal, it would take time.

"Thank you, Sergeant," Ryder said, staring at the laptop screen. "Forest, Higgins. I receive you. Can I get a good view of the city?"

"Roger, boss," Forest said. "It looks cozy."

The feed from the scope appeared on the laptop, getting a good overview. The city looked like a hybrid of medieval and small towns in the United States. However, there were crucial differences. Lamp Posts that were not candle-powered. There was some sizeable mechanical device at the center of the central plaza. Clock towers, windowed buildings, meaning that glass was widespread, and other details.

What puzzled him the most was the long giant wall that outlined the city. It didn't look like it was made from stone but concrete. Walls stopped being relevant hundreds of years ago with the innovation of gunpowder weapons. While the captain understood little of the enemy weapons and technology, he understood enough to know simple concrete walls wouldn't be enough to protect a city, unless altered with magitech.

As the captain studied, Ryder noticed a shadow over the equipment. Glancing up, he saw the elf girl looking over curiously with amazed and wondering eyes. "Can I help you?"

I have seen many of your people use such a device," Fraeya said. "I am wondering what this is and how it works."

Smirking from the innocent sight, Matthew Ryder placed his index finger on her forehead and pushed her back. "You are distracting me. There will be a time and place we can teach other technology, but it isn't right now."

"I apologize," Fraeya said. "I just want to help and learn about your technology. It is so strange."

"A wise man once said, strange is relative to your surroundings."

"That makes sense," Fraeya said. "Strange is a perspective of your surroundings, meaning what is strange to one isn't to another. Who said that? Must be a great, wise man in your world."

Ryder smirked with a strong sense of pride. "I just did."

He saw her ears drop with a disappointed look in her eyes. "I will never understand any of your kind humor."

"Watch out, sir," Wallace commented. "Last time you went philosophical, you got passed up on a promotion."

"Is that true?" Fraeya asked.

"He is not referencing my job," Ryder said. "He is referencing a date I had once. Never got that second date."

Hearing a few chuckles, Ryder refocused on the task at hand. "Fraeya, sit right here. I have questions about the city. Rommel, come here."

His second in command sat to his right, and the elf girl seated to the left, both staring at the screen. "Fraeya."

"I am sorry," Fraeya said. "I am used to vision screens being so..., what is the correct word? Liquidity? Yes, I think that. Your vision is so clean. I wonder what type of crystals it uses."

After taking a frustrated breath from her lack of focus, Ryder turned to his XO and saw the same reaction. The people of this world have monitors like these, but as the theme goes, they are different. The only part he was thrilled to hear was that they had superior resolution quality.