Chapter Eight

Rose’s POV

“Yes.”

His lips are on mine in a heartbeat. The kiss is soft and gentle at first, then gradually gets more desperate and passionate. When we break from the kiss, we are both breathless and breathing hard. He rests his forehead on mine and whispers, “God, you’re amazing.”

“I could say the same about you,” I say with a smile.

He laughs, lightly. Pulling back to look at me, his hand still at the nape of my neck, mine playing with the ends of his hair at the back of his neck. He brings his lips back to mine. This time it’s a small, affectionate kiss. We just cuddled together on the couch until we both fell asleep.

The next morning
I woke up on the couch, with a blanket draped over me. I sat up, looking around, realizing Cody was nowhere to be found. I assume he’d gone to do his daily chores. I got up, folding the blanket and putting it on the couch, before leaving.

When I got downstairs, Cody's not in the barn, so I went back to the house and got dressed. After getting dressed, I went to the kitchen and made breakfast for everyone. By the time everyone wakes up, I have the dining room table set with pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage, and biscuits.

All my friends and siblings crowd around the table. After we all eat our breakfast together, my friends all say their goodbyes and head home. My siblings go about their daily plans.

When I went to the barn later in the day, Cody was mucking out the stalls. I walked over to him and said, “Hey.”

He looked up at me for a second before returning to what he was doing, “Hey.”

“Want some help?”

“I’m good, you don’t have to help.”

“I ain’t got nothing to do, so why not.” I say with a shrug.

“Okay, I’m almost done, though.”

“That’s okay. What can I do?”

“Raven’s stall is the only one I haven’t done yet.”

“Okay, I’ll start on that then.” I say before walking away. As I’m mucking out Raven’s stall, I can’t help but think about how Cody’s acting. He seems distant. Like he has something on his mind. Does he regret kissing me last night? Did I do something wrong? Maybe it’s just him. I really don’t know that much about him. Now that I think about it, he hasn’t shared anything about himself or his past at all in the few months he’s been here.

__________________________________________

Author note:
Another chapter done!! This is making a lot of progress. They kissed!! Let's see where this goes in the next chapter!!