Chapter 18- He Defiled It...

Darcy's POV.

We rode an escalator up to the second floor of the West Kensington Library, I was bouncing happily on the balls of my feet and smiling widely to myself.

Sherlock glanced back at me from his position further up on the escalator and tutted loudly, "You really should find a better hobby." He commented and I heard John chuckle behind me, so I whipped my head around and glared at him.

 "What's wrong with reading, you read all the time?" I responded, smirking confidently at the back of Sherlock's head.

He sighed loudly, "I read for research. You, on the other hand, read fantasy and all that rubbish."

I gasped, offended, "Well, sorry for actually having an interest other than dead bodies. A teenage girl's got to have a hobby." Sherlock breathed heavily through his nose and I added under my breath, "Fairy tales aren't rubbish."

"Debatable." He remarked, stepping off the escalator as we reached the top and he automatically began walking towards the aisles of bookcases that were filled with books.

My heaven.

I too stepped off the moving steps and hurried past Sherlock, into an aisle of fiction novels. I ran my fingers along the spines of the book as I wandered aimlessly down the aisle but stopped as I reached 'H' and my eyes landed on a copy of The Hobbit. Funny, I'd never actually read that one before. Or the Lord of the Rings for that matter.

I call myself a book lover.

"The dragon gets killed by some man with a bow and arrow. Then all of the small men go home happily with treasure and what not." Sherlock stated plainly behind me. I hate to resist the urge to hit him there and then.

I glared back at him and said sarcastically, "Well, you've ruined that for me haven't you."

"I try." He smirked at me and I rolled my eyes as he added, "Come on. The case."

At that he marched off in the other direction and I huffed following after him and John. Sherlock walked purposefully down an aisle and stopped in front of a selection of books, not my type unfortunately. "Date stamped on the book is the same day that he died." Sherlock told us both and I nodded.

He checked the reference number on the book and led us further down the aisle, until we got the right place and he started to pull books out of the shelf.

"Hey, treat them with respect." I commented dryly and Sherlock glared at me, so I smirked and stuck my tongue out slightly. John pulled some more books out of the shelf further down and on the opposite side.

I heard the books hit the floor and the sound physically hurt, it broke my heart.

"Sherlock." John mumbled, and both of us turned to see John stood in front of a now empty shelf with the books scattered around his feet. We walked over to him and Sherlock pulled some more books off the shelf, revealing the same symbols from Sir William's office spray painted on the back of the shelf.

Sherlock looked over at me smiling and I had my mouth wide open in shock, "How could they defile such a beautiful haven?"

He tutted again and rolled his eyes, taking pictures of the symbols on his phone, "Shame."

I frowned, "What is?"

I didn't get an answer as Sherlock strode out of aisle with John in tow behind, leaving me stood there for a short while looking befuddled.

 --------------------------------------------------------------------

In the flat, I was sat on the sofa with my book. Again.