𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

I stared at the young woman standing in front of me

I stared at the young woman standing in front of me. She was pretty, sure, but she seemed childish and immature.

She was dressed too provocatively for a first meeting, and my stomach twisted into a knot just looking at her.

This marriage is just a meaningless contractual agreement, a business arrangement between families. There was no true romance involved, and I was not attracted to this girl in the slightest.

I tried to keep a straight face and avoid looking at her too much, my eyes roaming around the room.

The girl was clearly trying to impress me, as she kept making subtle glances at me, clearly attracted to me.

I felt nothing for her, and it was hard to hide my indifference. This was just another part of my miserable life.

I agreed to this bullshit only to please my father.

I forced myself to focus on the task at hand, setting aside my distaste for this marriage.

It was my duty as the oldest son to continue my family's legacy and make my father proud. If that meant marrying someone I didn't know and likely didn't like, then so be it.

My parents had paved a certain path for me to follow, and I would not be allowed to deviate from that path—

I snapped out of my thoughts, realizing it was time to leave. It was time to wrap up this ridiculous ceremony and go home.

I turned to face Melanie one last time, my eyes avoiding her gaze. I nodded to her respectfully, a small gesture of politeness more than anything else.

With that, I headed out the door both wanting to start a conversation, my thoughts already turned toward getting away as fast as possible.

I went to my car, getting in and shutting the door behind me. My family followed suit, all heading to their own vehicles and leaving me alone.

Alone.

I felt a sense of relief wash over me as I pulled out my phone and pressed the speed dial. I hit one button, and my ex girlfriend Lauren picked up almost immediately.

I had broken up with Lauren because of this arranged marriage to Melanie. It was a harsh decision, and one that tore me apart inside.

Lauren and I were perfect for each other, in every single way. We had a true connection, not like this stupid arranged match made for me.

But my parents had forced my hand, insisting that I marry this stranger or else I'd be forced to leave the family business and cut off from my inheritance.

"Lauren?" I called, my tone cold and curt.

"Yes? Who is this?" she replied with a light chuckle.

"It's me, Lorenzo. I need to see you ASAP, can we meet in an hour?"
✄┈┈┈┈┈┈