(16)

(Reminder: Everything written here is fictional, meaning 'not real.')

!!Warning: Spoilers for Raiden's story quest in Genshin impact. Not very lore accurate tho!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After a few more seconds, still nothing has happened. It seemed that Itadori wasn't going to regain control over his body anytime soon, much to Sukuna's pleasure. His lips curve up into a wide, menacing grin.

"Heh."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Many millennia ago, two sister gods ruled over the nation of Inazuma; a collection of multiple islands, including Japan. The older sister, Makoto, was in charge of keeping friendly relations with other nations, acting as the diplomat of Inazuma. The younger sister, Ei, was responsible for keeping Inazuma safe from any threats, acting as her sister's shadow. The two sisters were polar opposites, but they cared deeply for each other and ruled over Inazuma well.

Until one day, monsters of unknown origin emerged from the ground, wreaking havoc and devastation wherever they went, causing a massive war.

One by one, nations crumbled. Eventually, only seven nations were left standing; one of them being Inazuma. The gods knew that they couldn't just sit quietly and do nothing as their nations collapsed; they had to take action. They couldn't afford to lose any more people.

Then, the seven remaining godly sovereigns went out to put an end to the monsters' destruction. Ei was supposed to be the one to fight the monsters, but Makoto went in her stead without Ei's knowledge. When Ei found out that Makoto already left to fight, it was too late.

Her sister was dead.

After Ei had finally arrived at the scene, she saw her sister's deceased body lying in the middle of destruction and wake. She begged and begged for Makoto to wake up, but her desperate cries went unheard.

"I'm so sorry for not arriving in time, sister." Ei cradles her sister's body close, trying to find any warmth so that she knows there's still a chance to save her. But no, Makoto's skin was ice cold.

...

Years later, after the war ended, Ei became the new sovereign of Inazuma. The citizens would refer to her as the 'Raiden Shogun,' meaning, 'the ruler of thunder and lightning.' However, they had no idea that the person they called their ruler was, in truth, a puppet, instead of their true god.

Consumed by her grief over her sister's passing, Ei became obsessed with the idea of eternity. All supernatural creatures would eventually go through erosion, losing their memories and sense of self as time passed by. Even omnipotent gods like Ei would gradually succumb to erosion. So, to counter this, Ei created a puppet to rule over Inazuma in her stead. It took a few tries, but she managed to conceive a puppet who resembled her perfectly. The personality, bodily features, everything looked exactly alike.

Ei sent out the puppet to take care of worldly affairs, while she remained in her consciousness, the plane of euthymia, to reflect on herself and meditate alone.

While Ei was meditating in her own realm of consciousness, a thought came to her. 'If a nation were to give in to erosion as well, then what use is there for a god without a nation?'

A few days later, the Raiden Shogun passed the Sakoku Decree, a law that would shut down the borders and ports of Inazuma, preventing anyone from getting in or out of the nation of thunder and lightning.