28. The show

The event was pretty good, considering the cold atmosphere around me. No one came to the idea to make more light, keeping the room as dark as possible. Only the stage was getting brighter, presenting all sorts of performer with strong make up on their faces. At first was just a bit of soothing music the start of the night. A slender woman with long red hair sang a song I never heard of, joined by a violinist. Her beauty and the silky voice of hers, made me forget about the whole night. Unfortunately, my friend had to ruin the moment all too soon, poking my side, "Are you asleep?" I jumped at her contact, which made her laugh in response. Hitting her shoulder quick I face the stage again. The song was reaching the end, as the crowd clapped at their performance.

The next scenes, was more of a comedy play...mixed with disturbing moments. Clowns with hideous masks, which were more frightening than funny, were playing with organs on stage. One of the clowns stepped on a liver and feel, the other laughed creepy, giving him a hand...a chopped off hand. The audience enjoyed the moment, laughing along, while I was disgusted by that. My friend joined the crowd. She normally hated such things. Back then, when we lived together, she refused to watch horror movies and now...she loved it.

Before the last show started, was a little break of half an hour.

Thank you, I thought. Another scene like that and I might have puked into my lap. Looking towards my friend, I didn't hear her leave my sight. Where was she?! The pitch black place made me suddenly fear the worst. Around the room, people were walking around, talking, whispering and moving chairs. Only one sound was missing...my friend's voice.

"Waiting for something?"

Thank god, she is back!

"Where did you go?!" I asked, not trying to sound scared. It failed horribly.

She laughed though, "Scared to get taken eh? Not interested in another one night stand N\A?"

"Can't you drop this once and for all?!"

"Why? I know it annoys you, so why stop?"

I stuck my tongue out, "I hate you!"

"Adorable, really adorable N\A. I bet any men in here, would love to have that tongue of yours in their throats."

Her sense of humor just have changed as much as anything else. What just happened to her? I needed to know the answer, touching her shoulder lightly, " Could you tell me what has happened on that day."

"What day?"

"The one you had you visit, with that guy in red."

She grinned amused, "You mean the one...

I interrupted her, "Answer damn it!"

"Fine, fine. Listen up. When you were gone, I made myself presentable for this hot shot. I wanted to have my go at him, since you already had four fair share." I refused to get angry, waiting for her to continue. "Anyway, whatever I done, it didn't seem to work on him. I think he is more into wallflowers...like you. After a while I got feed up and kicked him out."

"And?" I pushed.

"What and?"

"What happened next? There was this fire and..."

Suddenly, the audience were clapping loud. The next event starts any moment. My friend took this as a moment to take her drink. My patience was running thin, "Come on, spill it out!"

"N\A, patience. I tell you after the show, promise."

Not very convinced, I let it slide. Making myself comfortable in the chair, we waited for it to begin. The curtain have opened and what I saw made me wish for the clowns to come back. Children, not older than six, were chained to antoehr. Her eyes were showing signs of fear, while her bodies trembled. The man from before stood before them, facing the crowd, "Now for the last show for tonight. It is happy hour time! Let's make this night unforgettable!"

My eyes wandered to my friend, "Are you kidding me? What kind of show is that?"

"Our show. Shut up now...there about to start."

Afraid of what happens, I went back to the scene slowly. In hope that I missed the worst part, it only just began. The children were attached to boards, tied against them. Unable to move, they began to scream out for help. The audience laughed in response. This was inhuman, I wanted to end this. Just as I was to get off the seat, someone pushed me back on it. My friend held my shoulders in place, while her head has moved next to mine, "This is the best part,you really shouldn't miss this one. But I rather not get to close." Her laugh made my blood freeze up, "This might get a little messy."

Once her last words escaped her lips, the show began.

A man from the audience, stood before one of the children and made a move, like he was about to punch it. Only to get the fist through the kid's chest, right where the heart is. The crowd went wild, as the scream of the child stopped. My eyes widened, seeing him rip out the heart in one go, presenting it to everyone. The next, he pushed it in one hand, making the blood splatter in every direction. A few drops had hit my face. My friend laughed amused, "Told you it gets messy."

"This...is...sick" I choked out.

"If you are one of us...it is pure joy. Just give me a chance, to show you the fun of this life." My body got tense, while her lips touched my neck, kissing it tenderly, "All you have to do...is to approve. Allow me to make you one of us."

"I..." My heart beats fast, all most trying to jump out of my chest.

Unexpected, she turned my head aside and kissed my lips. Her tongue made her way through, as bitterness hit my taste buds. It was a hideous taste. My friend released me and smiled pleased, "You will love it...

...so what do you say?"