Chapter 5 (distance 2/2)

"I can't go on any longer," the man gasped.

"Come on!" the girl urged.

They had been in a relentless sprint for what felt like an eternity, their bodies drenched in sweat and their breaths heavy.

"I'm done," the man declared, coming to a halt, causing everyone else to stop.

"I can't believe it. I've only been with them for a week, but it feels like a lifetime," the man confessed.

Arisu approached the man, his voice filled with determination. "You must survive, so you can share their story with your wife," he insisted.

"You're right," the man replied, finding a renewed sense of strength as he resumed running.

"Distance 8,000," the voice called out once again, breaking the silence.

Arisu's eyes darted towards a truck, where a motorcycle was securely placed at the back.

Curiosity piqued, Chishiya questioned Arisu's sudden halt. "What's the matter?"

Arisu pointed towards the motorcycle. "A motorcycle."

Arisus eyes widened in recognition. "Royal Enfield."

"You know about bikes? Diesel engines like that are quite rare," the man remarked.

A memory resurfaced in Arisu's mind, something Chota had mentioned before.

"But old-fashioned things like this still function, as they don't rely on any IC chips."

"All electrical circuits have been destroyed," Arisu stated matter-of-factly.

"So?" the girl retorted.

"Analog devices without electrical circuitry still work, including motorcycles and cars," Arisu explained.

"Like this bike, or that bus over there!" he exclaimed.

Without hesitation, Arisu and the man leaped onto the truck, eager to test if the vehicles were still operational.

"Damn, no battery," the man muttered in frustration.

"This bike, it runs on an old Diesel engine, right?" Arisu asked, giving the bike a shake.

"Uh-huh," the man confirmed.

"So it doesn't require regular gasoline, but diesel," Arisu concluded.

"The bus too, perfect!" the man exclaimed, sharing Arisu's excitement.

"Wait, so you plan on carrying that bike all the way back with you?" the girl questioned.

"If we can bring back fuel, we can use the bus to save Takuma," Arisu explained.

"You want to save Takuma?" the man asked, to which Arisu nodded.

"But if we go back, the game won't be cleared!" the girl protested.

"Yes, it can! There's still enough time," Arisu insisted, glancing at the remaining time on his phone.

"Just in case, you three should continue. If I can start that bus, I'll catch up quickly," Arisu suggested.

"No more surviving at the expense of others' lives. I'm done with it," Arisu declared firmly.

"I'll come with you," Chishiya unexpectedly chimed in.

"Huh?" Arisu was taken aback. Why would Chishiya want to join?

"Well, if I start walking back, you'll be able to pick me up faster. That means less running," Chishiya explained, panting slightly. He really didn't like running