6

"Santu" Haseena's feeble whisper shook through the silence of the hospital room bar for the beeping of various machines connected to the young girl lying on the sterile white bed.

"Santosh Sharma I am sorry" she managed to say at last. There were a hundred different things on her mind that she wanted to say but she barely managed to articulate them.

Delicately holding the young girl's fragile hand, Haseena wanted nothing more but for Santu to wake up and give her her signature smile.

"Madam Sir you should drink some of this" Head Constable Pushpa Singh was gently coaxing her to drink some hot soup, "You look so worn out."

"No Pushpa ji I am good" she answered with a small smile, trying hard not to worry the kind lady any further than she already was. 

"But Madam Sir you are going to have so much to do today and look at you" Pushpa ji tried again gently, it was breaking her heart to see her senior whom she regarded no less than her child to be so torn and broken and yet trying to put up a facade of stoicness. 

"Madam Sir don't be so stubborn. Listen to me this once, I always listen to you, this time please this time...." 

Pushpa ji was almost successful in putting a small bite of  paratha in the younger woman's mouth had it not been for SHO Amar Vidrohi's abrupt entry.  Both women turned their gazes to him, shock colouring their expressions.

"Sir...Amar Sir"  Pushpa ji was the first to break the momentary silence, taking in the haggard look on the SHO's face. He was panting and tiny droplets of sweat were appearing near his forehead.

"What happened Amar Sir?" Pushpa ji asked more concerned now, placing a hand on his back trying to gently guide the man to a seat but he walked away with a force further heightening her worry.

"Haseena Mallik" he said, the poorly concealed urgency in his voice bard to miss.

"Yes....yes Sir?"  Haseena answered, slowly standing up, "Is something wrong?"

She felt so stupid asking that question but didn't get much time to dwell on those thoughts since Amar Vidrohi had closed in on her and within seconds his strong, calloused fingers were curled around her wrist. She shivered just a little at the sudden contact between them.

"Haseena ji you need to come with me" Amar said, pausing a while as if to collect himself and then adding as gently as he could, "Your mother has had a cardiac arrest. But...but.. don't ...Haseena ji relax. Relax Haseena."

Pushpa ji had rushed over to Haseena, rubbing her back soothingly while Amar squeezed her hand in an effort to steady her.

"Inspector Haseena Mallik you have to steady yourself" Amar spoke softly but with some firmness, "Mrs Mallik is already in the hospital and now you are needed there for urgent formalities. So please."

"Yes Madam Sir right now your mother needs you to be strong, don't let others break you" Pushpa ji's words dripped in maternal care.

"Pushpa ji please stay here and be very alert" Amar said looking meaningfully at the older lady, "Do not let anybody enter without authorisation. And keep your cell phone charged always."

He then turned to Haseena, her face somewhat reddened from crying and violently wiping off her tears. For a moment he felt a surge of anger in him directed at the unknown people who were responsible for this state of hers. He shook his head, taking a deep breathe.

"Come Ms Mallik" he said, leading her towards the door. From the corner of his eyes he noticed the open steel tiffin box with uneaten parathas on the small table. Grabbing the box quickly he gave a nod to Pushpa ji.

"Call me if you need anything or feel suspicious of something even in the slightest" he spoke, as he walked out with the former SHO.

Pushpa ji smiled after them, despite the situation; a genuine smile at Amar Vidrohi for the first time since he came to the thana.

Hey friends

Thank you so much for your response and support in the previous chapter despite having vanished for months.
I honestly didn't expect anyone would read it but thank you so so much for proving me wrong 🙏🏻.
I haven't watched the serial for a long time and have forgotten the exact sequence of events so please point it out in case I make any mistakes and if anyone is free I would be grateful for a small summary of the events❤️.