Chapter 14

Storm's POV

I don't know what it was, I doubt I ever will. It's just mad how simple and natural it felt but I can't allow myself to do that. I can't get distracted, not again. For a guy who had managed to keep all his emotions under wraps that was not what I expected. A single lingering finger on my cheek had me weak in the knees and sent my heart racing. It's possible I imagined the lingering too. it seems ever since I met her, I have more dreams. Yes, dreams, not void nights or the retched nightmares that used to stain my nights, no, I mean the lovely kind that make me regret waking up.

I have tried to suppress it as well as I can, but my attempts have proved to be fruitless. I still have those dreams and smile in my sleep. I greet my parents with a little less misery laced in my tone and I even spend my nights at home now. It has been an unusual phase but positively so, despite my reluctance to welcome it.

My reluctance to welcome it, that's what had me leaning on the wall by the porch considering taking a puff of the cigarette tucked between my index and middle finger, lit and burning away. It was tempting, of course it was but just as usual, my weak arse would not let me drown myself in the harsh sensation of the smoke. Clearly, it enjoyed my suffering -- I enjoyed my suffering. A small voice in the back of my head wouldn't let me forget it was my fault. It wouldn't allow me the time to rest and think, maybe, just maybe, I wasn't to blame. I understood, of course, that unfortunate things happen to people all the time, but it didn't seem right that such could happen to me. I just couldn't accept it. Perhaps in another life it would make more sense.

i tossed the half-finished cigarette onto the ground, I wasn't even strong enough to take a puff of it, inhale the smoke and allow it to take me. I wondered then, the purpose of carrying around a box of them when I never could try a single one for the past two years. It was stupid, as stupid as my impromptu departure from the party when Tan touched me. I trudged begrudgingly back to the party.

I noticed it about ten paces from the door, then i waited. It left me in awe as usual, her voice. The sound that eased all tension in me. In a way it entranced me and hypnotized me. I was at her will every time she sang, if only she knew.

I couldn't control myself and so when i whispered the words she caught them. "Utterly beautiful."

Knowing she noticed made a strange warmth grow in my stomach but a great comfort grew with it.

She came to me after her little show and we spoke as normal. There was no tension in the air, and as usual the conversation was easy.

One thing led to another and we left for my room. Perhaps she had been curious to see my way of living, or maybe she genuinely enjoyed my company and wished to keep it for a little while longer. Whatever it was, it was a factor in our fall.

She sat on my crisp white bed whilst i shuffled to make myself comfortable. I did away with my tie and shoes and soon i was sat on the floor infront of her.

Her eyes raked across the room, analyzing it with complete attention. She looked confused until she finally asked. "Why is it so... empty?", her eyebrows furrowed just then.

I smiled nervously. "The room has never been of much sentimental value."

She just nodded and got up. She walked across the room to a wall in the distance. She looked up and caught sight of it. She raised a hand and carresed the frame. "Who is she?", she asked.

Inquisitive.

I hesitated for a few seconds. Talking about her never came easy. I felt too much in the instances that she came up. "That is Sienna, my sister."

Tan glanced at the picture of a smiling Sienna on a bike. "You have a sister? That's wonderful, she seems fun."

"Had."

Her smile falls and she looks closely at me."I'm sorry.", she finally manages.

"It's fine. She was by the way.", i stired the conversation elsewhere.

She scruched her eyebrows confused. "What?"

"She was fun.", I put in.

She just nodded and i couldn't stop myself.

"She loved parties. Barely spent her nights at home, always at some party or the other. I remember she had this large group of friends, she always forced... no forced isn't a fitting word. She made sure i was with them. Seeing me alone made her sad. She was such a beautiful soul and she had all these dreams that can never come true now."

I smiled, now completely lost in my thoughts and felt the tears well up in my eyes. I blinked a couple of time to keep them at bay. "Sometimes, i just wish i should have died. She'd have done way better in this life than i ever will."

Then it fell, a single tear, down my left cheek and onto my floor. The flood gates had been opened and there was no closing them now. So i just cried on and on into my palms until i felt a pair of arms wrap around me and squeeze ever so slightly.

Sobs wreked my body and i shook with every wave. I stayed in place as Tan whispered words of comfort into my ears, i couldn't hear a single one of them but the thought made all the difference. She took to singing lowly in hopes of comforting me. I do not remember falling asleep but the last thing i do remember is moving onto my bed and a light kiss on my forehead before all turned to darkness. The hands that were once around me found their place once again around me even as we slept.

She'd stayed.

-----------

Pretty little chapter for my readers.

Been having the worst block of all time.

Thanks for reading 🖤