chapter 2

"You should have seen the post.", He marveled. "They looked so cute and happy."

Han was on about his favourite TikTok couple. Apparently they had broken up so suddenly. He was probably more heartbroken than the two.

"This is why I don't do social media. They put all these nice and happy things on there when in reality they're crumbling.", I scoffed shoving a book into my bag. "I'd rather have the real, transparent deal."

He laughed loudly paying no mind to the stares he got from just about everyone. "You are a cynic, that's why." He shrugs. "Social media isn't all lies and deceit, there's good to it too, you know? You just have to find it."

I rolled my eyes. "Searching for a needle in a haystack." Han gave me a look of disapproval. He was so inscistant on me getting on social media. I didn't want to do anything of the sort. At least not ever. I didn't need any attention. I already got a tonne load of that, even when I didn't want it. My hair did the job pretty well. I wasn't willing to become the laughingstock of the world just as I was at school.

I threw my bag over my shoulder and began to walk. Han walked with me his eyes glued to his phone. That was another reason I hated social media. It took too much from people, like their hold on reality and the sort. It was infuriating. I grabbed Han's phone and he groaned in annoyance.

"I was about to see my tags.", He explained. "Come on. It's just a couple of tags and I'll be through with it."

"Not a chance. We're late for class anyway. I'll return it after." He threw me a pleading look but I ignored it and we continued our walk to the only class we had together, Maths.

I took my seat a few chairs away from him. I wanted to avoid his begging for the whole class and to say it worked would be an understatement. He only ever sent me more of those pleading looks which I responded to with seering glares.

Class finished oddly early and I had to say, I actually understood some of the things the teacher had said. Emphasis on some. I picked up my back and slung it across my shoulder. Han's phone fell in the process. I ducked down to grab it. Going down was easy but coming back up, not so much. My hat somehow caught onto on of the pins on the desk. As I straightened up my hat fell onto the floor, leaving the burden I called hair bare and uncovered for everyone to see.

It was obvious by then that people were taking pictures, multiple pictures and snickering about it. I heard a couple of insults along the lines of freak and monster from a corner. Hearing it the first time was terrible but having it repeated was worse.

A dark skinned girl, rocking an afro scoffed, can't even tell if you're mixed or mutated, she had put it. These words weren't new but they sure as hell were painful. I hadn't woken up one day and decided to dye my hair and straighten it. I was born with it, and nothing in the whole world could change that.

I grabbed my hat from the floor and pushed my way past the crowd of people. Han was the only one to follow. The rest stayed behind and continued to terrorize me even in my absence.

The halls were full of students making their way to their next classes. They scrutinized me with their eyes and I could hear the faint sound of cameras chiming. It was the perfect set up for a disastrous emotional breakdown.

I made it out of the school unscathed, if we're didn't consider my emotions, that is, those were most definitely scathed. Han caught up to me and placed a warm hand on my shoulder. "Hey, stop. Relax.", He told me looking into my deep brown eyes. He had a comforting effect and it was working.

"Look, those guys can say what they want but you can't let yourself believe it. I won't let you."

I wiped tears I didn't even realize were falling from my cheeks. I sighed and took a breath. "I can't do this, Han.", I revealed. " I can't pretend what they say means nothing, I can't pretend I don't care, because I do. I care so much their words tear me apart every single time."

"Then let mine put you back together.", He said defeated. He ran a hand through his dark hair his eyes darting everywhere possible. "You, Tanaka, are beautiful. They say all those horrible things because they need to put you down to feel better about themselves. They are jealous of your unique beauty, you just have to understand that to accept yourself." He finished off. He always knew just what to say.

I smiled small, teary eyed. "Walk me home?" I asked him.

He nodded. "But not home, school isn't out yet, your parents will know."

He was right. They would. I considered going to the library but that would just bore Han. He was my polar opposite. Whilst I liked books, he preferred movies. We only met in the middle when it came to music. So I knew exactly where we would go.

The wind blew around us, settling a slight chill. We walked in silence. Han understood me effortlessly. He knew I needed to clear my head and us chatting away definitely wouldn't help with that.

When we reached the vinyl shop we opened the door and walked in, welcomed by the jingle of the bell above the door. It was quaint but they had all the best records.

I made my way over to the Elvis Presley isle and started going through the records. I picked one of my favorites. And placed it one the vinyl player in the corner. Han was right next to me smiling big. Just as the library was my happy place, this was his.

The song melted into the air around us. We sang along and hummed to the tune. It was amazing how every word fit. It was magnificent. The shop was practically empty save for us so no one complained when we sang the chorus over our lungs. I lived for this, having fun with my best friend.

We left the shop a couple of hours after noon and it was the perfect time to head home. Han walked me there and stayed a while with me. My parents absolutely loved him. I could wager it was because he was my only friend and they just wanted me to be happy.

We spent the time in my room. He even helped me finish up a song I had been working on. "You know, you could put this on Instagram and get people other than me to listen to it."

I scoffed. "We both know I'm not doing that."

He gave me a pitiful look, I stood to go to the toilet. I wasn't going to sit there and watch my best friend openly pity me. There was nothing to pity. He just had to accept that I was different but
I'd have to do it first.

_________

It's coming along pretty well, in ny opinion of course. Tell me what you think.

Random question: Do you think reading is an escape or maybe there's something deeper.

TTMN🙃