chapter 8

The night I got the news of my ever growing online following Han left just before midnight. I was left to my own devices, with my dad out of town and my mum at an event. I had the house to myself. In many instances that would've been a great thing, but not in this one. My mind would not allow me peace.

Was I truly ready to perform infront of millions?

I took a quick bath and made my way out of the house. I clicked the lock and started walking. The cool air ruffled my hair and my nose would have been tinted red if it were not for my melanin coated complexion. I shuddered a breath and tucked my hands into my pockets. I should've grabbed some gloves, i thought.

The library leered above me. It's grand build warming me at sight. I bounded up the small flight of stairs that led to the door. I stepped in and took a moment to appreciate the warmth that engulfed me. I shrugged off my coat and left the jumper on. I drapped it on my arm and made the rather long walk to the fantasy isle. I walked with my head low and my mouth shut, only the sound of my thoughts resonated.

That was until he spoke.

"It's a little late to be at the library, innit?", he questioned.

My eyes rose from their fixed position on the carpeted floor to the figure sat just about five meters away from me. In the dark area all i could make out was his silhouette and the hanging of his hair towards his face.

"If it is then what are you doing here?", i responded with a question.

He sighed and shuffled to the side. "To think."

He kept his reply short and ominous. Meeting an odd boy at the library was never part of the plan but it may as well be my favourite part of this tale. I stood in the lowly lit isle awkwardly. I pondered leaving but being home wasn't a much desired option. I was stuck.

"You're allowed to sit, by the way.", he voiced. I noticed then the way his voice vibrated off the shelves around us. It gave the illusion of comfort and bliss with just a few words, letters, syllables. It was beautiful. I remember thinking that all throughout our encounter from that moment on.

I hesitantly moved over and placed my coat on the floor. I made for my usual shelf and searched for my favourite book. It was my usual routine, save for the mysterious boy next to me and the fact that my book was missing. It was gone, poof, into thin air. I frantically shuffled through the shelf. Noone else ever came into this isle, noone could've taken it. Did the library perhaps think of changing their options. It was a disaster, but only one i understood.

I took a deep breath and turned to my companion. It noticed it then, the pages as warn as i left them as his fingers flipped through them. I wondered how he read in that dark corner. I wonder why he read Cinderella. My heart seized it's erratic beating and allowed for a stable rhythm. My book was fine, and so was I.

I sat next to the boy. I figured conversation was a go to. I had to do something. Before i could begin, he spoke. "She was naive. Dont you agree?", he turned to me. For the first time i met his eyes - hazel orbs oozing pain and turbulence, begging for an out.

"What?", i inquired.

He chuckled lowly. "Cinderella, don't you reckon she was naive?"

I'd read the book so many times and i knew it inside and out. I had to disagree with the odd boy next to me.

"No, she just chose to ignore the red flags, she chose to see the brighter side of everything.", i stated defensively. You'd think by my tone that he'd insulted my sister rather than commented on a fictional girl.

"Ah, so you've read?", he raised a slightly hidden dark brow. He returned his gaze to the book.

I hummed in agreement. He was talking and that seemed to be the best time to run introductions. I had to at least know his name if we were going to share my escape.

I stretched out a hand. "I'm Tanaka, but i go by Tan. What's your name?"

"I know who you are.", he chuckled for the shortest time. "Just about everyone does. My name is Storm and, uninterestingly, i go by Storm."

I didn't miss the teasing imitation in his last sentence. It brought a smile to my face, albeit a small one. I pulled out the nearest book: Harry potter. If i wasn't going to read about glass slippers and happily ever afters then i was going to be in a world of witches and wizards. The contrast was gigantic but it was just as alluring as Cinderella. I flipped through the pages silently and so did Storm until finally he closed his book with a light thud and stood up.

I watched him shelf the book and dust off his pants lightly. He pushed his hair out of his eyes and adjusted his jacket. "Are you leaving?", i enquired though it was more of a statement than a question. He didn't look my way. "Of course, and so are you. I need to lock up."

"So you work here?", i asked another question. He turned this time and sighed. "Maybe." He was so vague with his wording i got no true answer but he proceeded. "But i do have the keys."

He jingled a bunch of small bronze keys in his hands and motioned to the large heavy doors. I followed him out. He passed me his coat as he locked the door. He finished up and we took the stairs down to the pavement. We went out seperate ways from there. I looked back once and saw his receeding figure and just as I was about to turn the curb he uttered his last words to me that night.

"Until next time, Cinderella"

He was gone by the time I looked back again. Lost in the darkness of a late London night. That's when it crossed my mind, my coat was in the library and his was draped on my arm.

In the bitting cold my only option was to make do with his. I could only hope to see him again and return his coat.

_______

Hello guys, their first in person meeting. We're gonna be seeing a whole lot of them together a lot more and i want to try and show how they came to be in as much realism and detail as i possibly can.

Random question of the day: where are you reading from.

I'm writing from Zimbabwe 🇿🇼

TTMN🖤