chapter 5

There was no point in waiting. What had to be done, had to be done right then and there was no procrastinating. I literally ran down the stairs from my room. "Hey, hey! Slow down. You'll hurt yourself." I paid my mum's words no heed as i stumbled out the door and onto my bicycle. I pulled on my helmet and started as fast as i could towards Han's house.

It wasn't too far from my own home. It took me just about ten minutes to get there. I hopped off the bicycle and made a beeline for the door. I knocked, mind trained solely on fixing things. I wanted my best friend back.

Han's mum answered. "You.", she didn't even try to smile. "How are you?"

I hadn't rode my bike all the way to their house for small talk. I was on a mission. "Is Han here?" She nodded and let me in. Albeit, reluctantly. I stepped into the house not even taking time to register the warmth in the room or remove my coat.

I went to Han's room and found it empty. Terrible idea not asking where in the house he was. I retraced my steps back downstairs and found him in the kitchen. He was sat at the table gobbling spoonfuls of cereal into his mouth. His hair was a curly mess atop his head.

"Cereal in the evening?", i asked. I had to start somewhere, right? He looked up from his bowl and his eyes turned a tad sad. "Tan." He whispered. "I'm sor-"

I cut him off. He wasn't in the wrong. At least not anymore. I had to apologize, not him. "No, I'm sorry." I started. "I didn't give you a chance to explain yourself or try to understand. I took the easier road, blaming you because i was too scared to let myself out my shell, to scared to make the small changes that would help me grow as a person. I realize my mistake now and i really am sorry. I just don't want to lose my best friend."

He smiled small. Han got up from his seat and walked over to me. He pulled me into a hug and i melted into it. "You're never going to lose me. I won't do anything to go against your choices again. We'll always be best friends. I promised.", he whispered into my ear.

That moment was the second best in my life. There'd only be one better than that. The way Han had assured me that he'd always be my friend made my heart flatter. He said it with so much sincerity and it stuck. I wasn't going to let anyone or anything convince me otherwise.

"Now that that's out of the way, I have something to tell you.", i said as we pulled away from the hug.

"Shoot", he said preparing a second bowl of cereal - probably for me.

"I made an account.", i blurted. "I wanted to see why you had been so hell bent on getting me on there and now i get it."

"Finally.", he rolled his brown eyes. "Really did take you long enough. Are you gonna post content? Because the people have been wanting more."

I wrung my fingers. "I'm going to try but we have to take it slow. Like just short video of me singing or playing the guitar."

He nodded. "I'll be your camera man and editor and number one fan.", he laughed. The excitement in his voice was so loud. He passed me a bowl of cereal and i sat across him at the table.

"I have a few ideas.", Han pulled out his phone and turned the screen to me. "This is all for you. All of it."

His phon was blowing up with likes and comments and little red and pink hearts, directed at me. For me. I was still trying to wrap my head around the reality of it. I just smiled. "They love you. Take it whilst they still want to give it. I say we post another one of you singing but not an original, just do a cover to establish your presence on the internet. Then we let them roll in."

He seemed so educated on this. He knew a lot and i knew close to zero. If i was going to do this I had to let him help. Hell, he had to take the reigns. I nodded. "Then i guess we're working on my cover thus weekend.", i laughed playing along.

Han was always one for the positivity of things. I didn't believe his overly exaggerated smile could be any bigger but that day i saw it grow so big his cheeks probably hurt. I marveled at the beauty of the emotion, happiness. When was i going to experience it?

We made notes and plans on the video. We'd have a simple set up, in my room, for people to recognize me. Though i did believe my hair would be a dead give away. That was after he convinced me to let it out and down for the world to see. He mentioned something about it being my signature feature. He made my curse seem like the most important thing. He made it seem beautiful. Less of a curse and more of something the world would accept. I reveled in that feeling because it wasn't often i felt it.

"Though there's something i want to make clear, Tan.", he turned serious.

"Go ahead. The internet is your area of expertise, i know nothing."

"You have to be strong. It cant be like school anymore. You're going to have to take people's nonsense or ignore it. You can't storm out or show weakness. The whole bloody world will be watching and you have to be careful. Its not all love on there. There's people out to get the worst out of others. Don't let them get to you."

I had known that but I chose to ignore it. The rude awakening and clarification Han gave me was just a cherry on top of the rather salty cupcake. I nodded my agreement. I wasn't going to let those words change anything. The internet couldn't hurt me if it wasn't complete reality. I led myself to believe that but i would be proven, completely and utterly, wrong later on in life. Maybe forced oblivion wasn't quite blissful after all.

_________

The big step has been officialized. We're getting into it now. The more introductory part of the story is finally over! Soon enough we're going to get to meet a crucial character. I have a feeling you guys will like him!

Just a few more dats until my birthday! I wonder if im getting anything on my wishlist.

Surprise chapter because i can't seem to fall asleep.

Random question: have you tried sushi?

TTMN🖤