Recruitment

I had my look perfectly sculpted. My floral dress came to right above my knees, and tight in the waist to accentuate my curves. Black flats adorned my feet, and a simple pearl necklace on my neck with matching earrings. My hair in a simple yet elegant French braid. My mother would never let me out if I didn't look utterly perfect. 

I hated it. 

It was nothing more than a costume. A facade for the town. We were wealthy yet lived in a small village; my mother did so to show off our wealth. She was always one for showing off. She trained me to play a part of a perfect little princess all my life. Sometimes I don't even feel like I know who I am anymore because of her. But when I looked into my reflection at night, My makeup and jewels off, my hair down. I see myself. I see the freckles adorned across my face that were once covered with heavy amounts of makeup. I see my green eyes that sometimes look bluer in certain lights. I see the color of my hair at the roots my mother made me dye blonde from a young age. I see my imperfections that my mother made me cover. 

I see me. 

Every jewel has its imperfections, and it's in those imperfections we find beauty. Even the most perfect diamond has its few flaws. My mother could never accept that though. She strived for perfection. I was her third attempt at it. My older brothers were considered lucky by my standards. They got to do what they wanted. 

Well, almost. 

When they moved away, they tried taking me with them, but they got shot down each time, not by me, but by our mom. 

I sighed silently, walking through the village getting groceries. I messed with the small gems on me, a sense of comfort for me to mess with. 

I finished up shopping, a sweet smile on my face as always. Never faltering. Never cracking. A perfect mask.

When I got home, I saw my mother talking with an old man with a straw hat. She seemed angry. "Mother?"

"Y/n dear. We were just talking about you. Would you be a dear and put on some tea?" I nod.

"Of course." I turn to our guest. "Would you like any specific kind?"

"Jasmine tea, please."

"Of course." I head inside, and take a deep breath, letting my mask fall, just for a few seconds. I take a few deep breaths and sigh. I play with my bracelet, not hearing footsteps.

"A beauty like none other. But there's more to you than meets the eye, is there?" The man speaks. I stay silent, making the tea and putting away groceries. "Yes, there is. I see a fighter. One who will break before she bends, but even you know when to pull back. Stubborn, head as hard as a diamond. But a heart as pure as one too." He hums.

"I see your mother has hidden that side of you for far too long."

"Sir, I have no idea what you're talking about. Surely, you're not talking about-"

"You? Oh but I am." I look up at him and meet his eyes. They're filled with a fire, and yet so kind.

"Who are you?" I ask after a minute of nothing.

"My name is Wu, child. You may call me sensei Wu. I sense the brightness of a thousand gems inside you. You will make a fine ninja." I can't hide the shock on my face.

"I... I don't..."

"Your mother has agreed to let you train with me. Took a lot of convincing on my part, but I'm more patient and stubborn than she could ever be." I smiled.

"You mean I finally get to leave here?"

"Yes y/n. You get to leave. Pack your bags, we leave tonight." I nod as the tea starts to boil. I turn off the stove.

"Help yourself. I'll be back." I all but run upstairs to my room. I packed a few sets of underwear, sports bras and all that, along with leggings and shorts. A few light tops and a sweater and hoodie for when it gets colder. I packed some socks and a spare set of shoes. I changed into walking clothes, a set of shorts and a f/c top and took off my makeup. I grab my phone and charger, along with headphones. Music has always been my escape from things, and I don't think that will be changing any time soon. I grab my contact case, Lense solution, and my glasses along with a glasses case. My mother could never stand the fact I needed glasses, and while I'm used to contacts, it's nice to not have them in every once in a while. 

I looked at my jewelry but decided against it. Only a set of studs for my ears, and a simple bracelet. Some money from savings and a bit of makeup and face care things. Finally, a few feminine hygiene products since I don't know when I'll have time to buy more. I looked at my couple of bags. I couldn't think of anything more, except one thing. A small keychain my brother's got me for my birthday, with keys to both their houses if I ever needed a break from our mother. On it, was a small trio of gems with our birthstones. An emerald for Ollie, a ruby for Chris, and a (birth/stone) for me. I smiled. Now I'm done packing. I took one last look around my childhood room, and smiled softly, thinking of all the times my brothers and I would play in here. But all good things must come to an end. I hope I never have to come back here.

I head downstairs, and I see my mother drinking tea, a passive aggressive look on her face. "Mother-?"

"Leave, and don't come back. You want to be a ninja so badly? Abandon everything I taught you? Fine, see if I care. Don't expect me to greet you when you come crawling back." I scoff.

"And here I was, thinking you'd care that your only daughter is leaving. I should have known better. You never cared about me. You just care about your image. Well, you know what I have to say? Two words; fuck you." I leave without another word. 

Sensei Wu was outside waiting for me. "Are you ready?"

"Yes. Let's go." A small smile graced my face, but unlike others, this one was real. 

For once, my future seemed bright. For once, I was looking forward to tomorrow.