Chapter Eleven: 'We all have our scars.'

If Red Hood wanted to feel bad about the push when she got down, she couldn't when she saw the look on his face. With several sticks lodged in his hair and an actual sore behind; she couldn't help but cackle. Luckily, the werewolf was as amused as she was; he wasn't very good at hiding it as they walked through the thick, vast forest. Their journey was slower than he would like though, that much was obvious, but she had more reasons to consider. Woodsman was alive and he didn't know that Kamon wasn't an enemy wolf. 

She feared that if he spotted her and Lydia on the big brown werewolf's back, his axe would come flying and slice the man's head off. It took a mature person to acknowledge skill. Her brother was stealthy despite his size and much stronger than any mercenary enlisted by the Fable. These werewolves were stronger than usual, but he could take at least one of them. Red Hood would have trouble stopping him if he were to attack. She grinded her teeth together as the thought of Kamon truly wounded struck her. The young woman's heart was squeezed at the daunting possibility. Better he conceals his ability as a man. Hopefully she could get to her brother and explain everything so it wouldn't come to that.

She also had team wolf to consider. It would be harder to conceal his identity from them. Like him, they can use his scent. But as a human male, perhaps he could confuse them in a crowd. It was a slim chance but one she was willing to take. Red Hood had to use every advantage she could think of to keep Kamon and Lydia unharmed. Even as a risk of her own sore feet and the folded arms, and incoherent mumbling of the grumpy wolf.

Many days and nights danced over their heads as they walked through the woods. The sun and moon seemed to constantly chase each other, never able to catch up to ech other. Red Hood never noticed that before and how much she related to the ever-changing sky. She constantly felt like she was chasing something... all while running away from something.

"Penny for your thoughts, Blanchette?"

Red Hood glanced away from the moon and found the sun-kissed gaze of the werewolf. Kamon was already gazing at her. Her breath caught itself in her throat. She always found his eyes on her as the journey commenced. It should have creeped her out, but she couldn't help herself—there was something alluring in his mystery. The need to find out more was nagging her.

"No, this one's for free. I'm thinking about you."

His eyes widened. She grinned. Though his skin resembled a beautiful, starless sky, she could tell that he was blushing. "Really? What about me?"

The mercenary moved slowly, careful not to wake the little girl who was sleeping on her lap. She gently placed her head on the grass before she shifted closer to Kamon. She watched as his gaze widened and narrowed every move. As curiosity and caution plagued his mind. But he didn't move away. In fact, he leaned into her touch as she rubbed his newest scar.

"... Your scars. Why don't they heal fully?"

"Why do you want to know that?"

"Why did you want to know my name?"

He smiled. "Touché." But his smile was so sad. That was the difference between them, amongst many. Kamon could plaster that grin on his face as the demons danced inside of him. Red Hood couldn't bear it. But that didn't mean it didn't hurt him as much as it hurt her. She almost wanted to take back— "My father scared me on what the witches call the blood moon. So, while Lydia's grandmother was able to save my life... my skin will hold the memory of near death forever."

"I don't understand why a parent would ever do such a thing to their child. Yours isn't the first I've heard of or even seen but... it shocks every time." Red Hood leaned into his shoulder, "I'm so sorry."

"Don't worry about me, Blanchette. The scars remain but the pain faded long ago."

Red Hood nodded. "I wish I could say the same, and mine don't even show." Kamon opened his mouth to say something. Perhaps to offer sympathy, she would never know. "What exactly is the blood moon?"

"I'm not too sure. My father used to describe it as the night of wolves. A chance to be truly immortal, that's all I know." He looked down at the mercenary as she pondered. He often wondered about that night as well. How exactly it made his father so strong and haunting. But he didn't know much and after so many years, he had to force himself to stop thinking about it. The habit stayed strong even now. "We should go to bed and have an early start."

The werewolf turned away from her and snuggled up to the fire, leaving her to the questions in her mind. This blood moon interested her. Not just because of Kamon's story and how it tied into the mention of an irregular wolf... but the fact that she'd heard the time before. She swore to herself that she had when she was a young girl.

But where?

"I still don't understand why I can't just carry you there. We're two days away from the grave and we'd get there in minutes if I just—"

"Patience is a virtue." Red Hood huffed.

"We still have a long way to go. We'd have reached by now if you'd just quit—"

Red Hood turned around. "Being a bitch?" She grinned as he bit his tongue. "If you can't figure out why we need to travel this way, you're not as smart as you think you are. Now hush up, we're making good time. Isn't that right, Goldilocks?... Lydia?"

The little girl was a few feet ahead of them. Her golden curls danced with the breeze and sang with the trees. The mercenary and the werewolf quickly realized the soft whispering emanating from her lips. It sounded like a dozen voices speaking at once and in harmony. They quickly ran toward her and turned her, finding her eyes completely white.

"Lydia? We need you to calm down, ok?" Kamon hushed, rubbing her back.

"I'm alright... They're speaking to me." she spoke.

Red Hood narrowed her gaze. "Who's speaking to you, sweetheart?"

"Many women... grandma is one of them."

The clouds hustled to surround them. Rain threatened to reign. This wasn't good. A sudden shift from sun to storm could indicate their position. But even so, Red Hood figured she needed the answers whenever she could get them.

"... What are they saying?"

Lydia hunched over. Her tiny fists clenched her dress as her chest grew sore and confined. "My... My heart, it hurts. It burns. It bleeds!"

The sky turned bloody. It cried red tears of pain as Lydia screeched louder than an earthquake. Red Hood and Kamon could do nothing but hold their ears and watch her, helpless to aid her until she spoke the final words. The blood-stained rain turned into floating crystals around her. The world stopped around her.

"My grandmother says that they want my heart."

Lydia fell to the ground, unconscious and bloody as the final shower poured. Red Hood quickly gathered her in her arms. She didn't understand any of this but there was no time to ponder.

"We need to go right now! Kamon, let's go!"

But he didn't move. Not even an inch. His urgency was no more as his golden gaze darkened at the figure in front of them. Red Hood turned to look and what she saw made her insides grow cold. Though the sky returned to its peaceful blue and the sun shone brightly in the sky... there was a werewolf standing in the middle of the path. The white wolf, and it bared its fangs at Lydia's comatose state. Its intent was clear. The wolf intended to snatch her from them. 

And that is the end of Chapter 11. Would love to know what you think in the comments section below and please vote if you enjoyed it. Until next time, my lovelies ;-)