16: Im sorry

2

2.7k

Anakin's heart pounded in his chest as he approached Isadora's childhood home on Naboo. The lush greenery of the planet's landscape provided a stark contrast to the turmoil raging within him, the weight of uncertainty pressing down on him with every step he took. He had never felt so out of his depth, so utterly helpless in the face of Isadora's pain.

As he reached the front door, Anakin hesitated for a moment, his hand hovering over the polished surface as he braced himself for what lay beyond. He knew that there was no turning back now, no escaping the inevitable confrontation that awaited him on the other side. With a deep breath, he pushed open the door and stepped inside.

The sight that greeted him was almost too much to bear. Isadora knelt on the floor in the center of the room, her shoulders shaking with silent sobs as she cradled her mother's lifeless body in her arms. The scene was devastating in its simplicity, a raw and unfiltered glimpse into the depths of Isadora's grief.

For a moment, Anakin stood frozen in place, unable to tear his eyes away from the heart-wrenching tableau before him. He felt as though he were intruding on something sacred, witnessing a moment of profound loss that was not meant for his eyes.

But then Isadora looked up, her tear-streaked face contorted in anguish as her eyes met his. In that moment, Anakin felt the weight of her pain wash over him like a tidal wave, threatening to engulf him in its overwhelming intensity. He had never seen her so vulnerable, so utterly shattered by the cruel hand of fate.

Without a word, Anakin crossed the room in long strides, his heart aching with a pain he could scarcely comprehend. He knelt down beside Isadora, his hand reaching out to gently touch her shoulder in a silent gesture of solidarity. She flinched at his touch, her body tensing beneath his fingertips, but she made no move to pull away.

"I'm sorry," Anakin whispered, his voice barely more than a hoarse whisper. "I'm so sorry, Isadora."

But his words felt hollow, devoid of any real meaning in the face of her overwhelming grief. He knew that there was nothing he could say or do to ease her pain, to erase the agony etched into every line of her face.

Isadora turned to him then, her eyes filled with a mixture of anger and despair. "Why are you here, Anakin?" she demanded, her voice tinged with bitterness. "What do you want from me?"

Anakin recoiled slightly at the venom in her tone, the sting of her words cutting through him like a knife. He had expected anger, perhaps even resentment, but he had not anticipated the sheer force of Isadora's fury.

"I came to find you," he replied, his voice barely above a whisper. "I came because...because I couldn't let you face this alone."

Isadora's expression softened slightly at his words, a flicker of something akin to gratitude passing across her features. But then her gaze hardened once more, her walls snapping back into place with a resounding finality.