7: Unwanted Partners

1

1.4k

Chapter Six: Unwanted Partners

Isadora fidgeted nervously as she waited outside Master Windu's office, her stomach churning with a mixture of anxiety and frustration. Beside her, Anakin stood with his arms crossed over his chest, his expression dark and brooding.

"I can't believe we're being sent on another mission together," Anakin muttered, his voice laced with irritation. "I thought we made it clear that we can't work together."

Isadora nodded in silent agreement, her mind racing with memories of their past clashes and disagreements. Ever since their confrontation in the temple, their relationship had grown increasingly strained, their once-close bond shattered by the weight of betrayal and mistrust.

"I don't understand why Master Windu insists on pairing us up," Isadora replied, her voice tinged with frustration. "We can't even be in the same room without arguing."

Anakin scoffed, his frustration evident in the tense set of his jaw. "Tell me about it," he muttered, his voice tinged with bitterness. "I'd rather take on this mission alone than be stuck with you as my partner."

Before Isadora could respond, the door to Master Windu's office swung open, and they were ushered inside. Master Windu sat behind his desk, his expression unreadable as he regarded them both with a steady gaze.

"Anakin, Isadora," he began, his voice grave. "I have a mission for the two of you."

Isadora's heart sank at the news, a sense of dread settling over her like a dark cloud. She exchanged a wary glance with Anakin, their silent communication speaking volumes about their shared reluctance.

"You are to attend a high-profile gala on Coruscant," Master Windu continued, his voice steady. "The guest list includes some of the wealthiest and most influential individuals in the galaxy."

Anakin's expression darkened at the mention of the gala, his lips curling into a scowl. "Let me guess," he muttered, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "We're there to play babysitter, aren't we?"

Master Windu's gaze hardened, his eyes narrowing in disapproval. "You are there to ensure the safety of the attendees," he replied, his voice firm. "There have been reports of a bounty hunter planning to assassinate one of the speakers at the event. Your mission is to identify and eliminate the threat before it can carry out its plan."

Isadora's stomach churned at the gravity of the situation, the weight of responsibility pressing down on her like a leaden weight. She exchanged a tense glance with Anakin, their shared apprehension hanging heavy in the air between them.

"Understood, Master Windu," Isadora replied, her voice steady despite the turmoil roiling within her. "We'll do whatever it takes to ensure the safety of the guests."

Anakin nodded in silent agreement, his expression grim as he braced himself for the mission ahead. As they left Master Windu's office and made their way to the hangar bay, Isadora couldn't shake the feeling of unease that settled over her like a dark cloud. She knew that the mission ahead would test their resolve like never before, pushing them to their limits and forcing them to confront the demons that lurked within their hearts. But as they boarded their ship and set course for Coruscant, Isadora knew that no matter what challenges lay ahead, she would face them with courage and determination, with Anakin by her side every step of the way.