𝕻𝖗𝖎𝖊𝖘𝖙𝖊𝖘𝖘 𝕲𝖚𝖙

Gale stole a quick glance at Aera as she walked away, praying this wasn't the last time he saw her.

After showing her the extent of his pain, he couldn't help but feel guilty for putting that on her. At the time he thought it appropriate. He wanted someone else to know so the others would understand it was a serious matter, and because they were the closest, he trusted her the most.

Still, her kindness and willingness to help him was so surprising.

As they walked, he could feel his heart swelling as he thought of her smile, her purple eyes, her intriguing story. Then, the sudden drop in his stomach as he pictured kissing her. The thought of his hands on her bare skin, her legs around him, her moan on his lips. Gale took a deep breath. If they got out of this Goblin Camp alive, he was going to show her that he appreciated her, in one way or another.

His feelings were still confusing to him, but one thing he did know for sure that within mere days, she'd managed to make an impression on his heart and his mind. Her entire being was beautiful to him. 

"Gale?"

Snapping him out of his delightful daydream, Shadowheart looked at him expectantly. "Is everything alright?"

"Oh, yes, of course." He laughed softly. "I'm sorry. I've just a lot on my mind."

Shadowheart nodded apprehensively, eyebrows narrowed. "Are you sure you're okay? That orb story you told us... it's quite scary. I mean it could harm all of us."

Gale nodded. "It could indeed. However, if it ever did get to that point, I'd misty step far, far away from all of you."

She chuckled, but clearly wasn't amused.

"My my, these are some new faces."

Everyone looked up to see an older Goblin woman. She had a skull headdress and long feathers along each shoulder. Her teeth were sharp as she smiled.

"What a handsome young man," she said, gesturing to Gale. "Come here."

Gale did as she said, keeping his sweaty palms concealed behind his back, his hands folded together. He gave her a soft half smile. "I appreciate the compliment."

"Of course dear." She smiled. "Now here's somebody special. The Absolute has touched you, hasn't She? Priestess Gut needs to touch you, too- hold out your arm so I can mark your flesh."

Gale took a slight step back, but kept his unserious demeanor. "I assume this mark has a purpose."

"Of course," the Priestess said. "Lets the faithful recognize another quick sharp. That way, nobody'll mess with you. And it's charged with magic. Ordinary slobs can't see it; only us that follow the Absolute."

Gale glanced back at the others. Lae'zel grimaced at the goblins, Wyll tilted his head back and forth, concerned for Gale, and Shadowheart kept her composure, her eyes telling him not to go through with it.

Gale suddenly had the thought that this wasn't going to work. Trying to stay under the radar in the camp and denying the Priestess what she wanted didn't seem to go hand in hand. He really didn't want to get branded, but, to keep the group safe, he figured it was the smartest thing to do.

"Well, in that case..." He walked a bit closer to the Priestess. Shadowheart opened her mouth to protest, but Wyll put a hand on her arm.

Gale crouched down, extending his hand toward the Priestess. "Hold still," she said, holding up the red hot iron. His heart raced. Was this truly the best idea with how unstable the orb was?