𝕶𝖆𝖌𝖍𝖆

They found Kagha behind yet another stone door within Emerald Grove. Aera started down the stairs but heard an audible gasp from Shadowheart, halting the half-elf for a moment. She turned. 

"Are you alright?" 

Shadowheart's eyes were glazed over with fear. "Um... yes. It's just the wolves... They frighten me." 

Aera glanced at the wolves, then back at Shadowheart. "Do you need to wait outside?" 

"No," Shadowheart replied. She took a deep breath. "I'm okay. Let's just make this quick." 

Aera nodded, then glanced over at the others. Gale gave her a soft smile and Astarion shrugged. 

"Okay, but step out if you need to." 

Shadowheart nodded. 

Aera made her way down the stone steps and to the scene below. She took in the druid woman, the young, scared tiefling girl, the darker skinned druid pleading for the girl's freedom. 

"What the hells is this?" Gale hissed. 

Anger immediately engulfed Aera when she noticed the snake, it's fangs exposed. 

This woman is threatening this child? 

"This is madness Kagha! She's just a-" 

"A what, Rath? A thief? A poison? A threat?" She glanced down at the girl angrily. "I will imprision the devil, and I will cast out every stranger." 

Aera looked at her with a dark expression. 

"Thief? Poison? What's this girl's actual crime?" Aera snapped.

"Girl? You mean parasite," Kagha snapped back. "She eats our food, drinks our water, then steals our most holy idols in thanks!" Before Aera could say anything, Kagha brought her attention to her fellow druid. "Rath- lock her up. She remains here until the rite is completed." 

Rath hesitated, averting his gaze. 

Kagha bent down slightly toward the girl. "And keep still, devil. Teela is restless." 

The snake hissed, earning a shriek of fear from the young girl. 

"This is absurd," Gale said, his eyebrows furrowed in anger. "Release this poor child at once!" 

His efforts were ignored, Rath beginning to argue with her once more. "Kagha. We took back the idol. Surely..." 

"Do it." 

Aera stepped closer to Kagha, her hand on her belt, wrapped around the handle of her dagger. "Release her. NOW." 

Kagha looked at her in disgust. "And who are you?" 

"Your biggest problem right now," Aera replied. "Release her. I'll see that she stays out of trouble." 

Kagha searched her face and noticed Gale angrily watching from behind Aera. Shadowheart glared with equal malice, but was clearly still on edge from the nearby wolves. 

"I... very well." She called Teela to her, to Aera's relief. The girl yelped in fear as the snake slithered past her. "Out, thief. My grace has its limits." 

Rath sighed. "Thank you, Kagha. Master Halsin would-" 

"Halsin isn't here. Keep his name off your tongue, lest Teela pierce it." 

Aera made eye contact with the young Tiefling girl as she hurried past. That could have ended very differently. 

Once the confrontation was over, Aera made her way over to Kagha, who'd walked away.