𝕹𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙 𝕿𝖜𝖔

Later on that night, the group decided to make camp just inside the gate of the grove, away from prying eyes. Gale cooked for the others as they napped, read, practiced combat, or talked with one another. Lae'zel had come back as promised, but stuck to herself. 

Aera sat cross legged in front of her tent, looking at a weathered painting that had been done long ago. The painting was of her and a tiefling boy, his skin light purple, his smile wide. She'd kept it with her since they'd gotten separated. They were around thirteen in the painting.

"Who's that?"

Aera looked up to see Gale holding a bowl in front of her. She took the bowl, gesturing for him to join her. "A friend."

Gale sat, putting his own bowl to the side and getting a better look at the painting. "Wow. You were young here."

"Yes."

"This is a childhood friend then?"

"Yes," Aera said, smiling softly as distant memories flashed in her mind. "More like a brother. I haven't seen him in a long time. I hope he's alright."

"Do you believe he is?" Gale asked.

Aera nodded. "I do."

"Then I'm sure he's just fine." Gale gestured to her bowl with eagerness. "Try it. I don't have the luxury of a proper kitchen, but it'll do."

"Thank you," Aera said. She put the painting away, then settled in.

She glanced at Gale, still processing their earlier conversation within the Grove. Despite her best efforts, she felt concern for the man, something she hadn't felt for another person in a long time. She tried the stew he'd made and nodded in approval.

"It's really good," she said, her eyebrows narrowed as she enjoyed the bite.

"I'm glad you like it." Gale smiled.

She nodded once more, continuing to eat.

"I um... I just wanted to thank you again for agreeing to help me," Gale said. "I will admit, I was quite shocked."

Aera shrugged. "You can't control it. I'm just curious as to what it is."

"I will tell you," he said. "In time."

Aera glanced over at him, meeting his dark eyes. He seemed to be studying her, much like he did the previous night on the river bank. She nodded, then decided to change the subject.

"So, Gale of Waterdeep," she started. "How are you feeling about helping the tieflings?"

He cocked his head to the side as he thought about it. "Well, I think you were right to offer in aiding them. I understand that the others are worried about the parasite, but what good are we if we let innocent people die?"

"Right," Aera agreed. "That's how I feel."

"Do you think you wanting to help has anything to do with your Tiefling friend?" Gale asked.

"Yes. I don't think I could live with myself if I doomed so many of his people to death."

"You're doing the right thing," Gale reassured her. "Don't worry. We're going to get this tadpole out of our heads. With all of us working together, I can say I actually have a bit of confidence."

Aera blew through her lips. "I hope you're right."

"I'm hardly ever wrong," he said, his voice laced with amusement. Aera huffed, cracking a smile. He mirrored it, then averted his eyes, seemingly thinking to himself.

"So what do you have waiting for you in Waterdeep?" Aera asked.

"Not much," he admitted. "My tressym Tara. My mom. My library."