𝕬𝖚𝖓𝖙𝖎𝖊 𝕰𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖑

The group came up on the secluded teahouse early in the morning the following day. 

Karlach was extremely excited over the sheep, having not seen any farm animals in ten years. "Gods they're so cute!" She exclaimed. "If only I could pet them and not scorch all their wool off!" 

"Maybe it's best to keep your distance," Wyll said, chuckling nervously. 

"Ugh, it just sucks," Karlach groaned. 

"So you just can't touch anyone?" Astarion asked as he ran his fingers across the tall grass. 

"Nope." 

"Ugh, I don't know how you do it darling," Astarion said. "I'd be devastated if I couldn't touch another person. I enjoy it a little too much." 

Aera and Shadowheart met eyes and laughed softly. Astarion smirked. 

"This is it," Wyll said, pointing up toward the house. Gale, who had been walking in front, stopped in his tracks, Shadowheart running into his back. 

"Ugh, Gale, what are you doing?" She said in slight annoyance. 

"That is quite unusual," he said, pointing at a spot in front of him. Aera peeked over his shoulder once Shadowheart had moved, then stepped to the side, getting a full view of the scene before them. 

Two men, dead on the path that led to the Teahouse. 

Aera stepped forward and crouched down next to the first man, looking for a cause of death. He'd bled all over the dirt, Aera determining he was slashed with some sort of longsword. She blew through her lips, then checked his pockets for loot. 10 gold. 

"How odd," she said. Aera glanced around, looking for anyone who could have done this to the two men. Birds chirped, the sun shined brightly, the flowers gave off a pleasant scent. 

It was quiet. 

"Gale," she said, turning to him. "Does something seem off about all this?" 

"Mmm," he said as he nodded. He looked around. "There's some sort of magic at work here. I haven't been able to pin it down, but I suspect some sort of illusion spell." 

Aera turned toward the others. "Everyone, be ready for anything. Wyll, I thought you said this woman was an ally?" 

"I thought she was," Wyll said. "I mean she was kind. Everyone at the grove seemed to love her." 

Aera sighed. "I suppose we should go talk to her and see what's going on." 

The group, now with much more caution, made their way up the steps and to the door of the teahouse. Aera could hear a woman angrily speaking toward someone else inside. She frowned, then knocked loudly three times. 

The woman stopped yelling and the door swung open, revealing no one on the other side to greet them. Magic. 

Aera and the others stepped in, weapons in hand.

"I don't want a crumb left on that plate, girl," an old woman, presumably Auntie Ethel, said. Aera took in the appearance of the young woman at the table, her eyebrows narrowed in concern. One look at her told Aera she wasn't there by choice. 

The young lady confirmed her suspicions as she spoke. "Auntie Ethel, please. one more bite and this pie is going to come back up to say hello." She had been crying, her makeup running down her cheeks. 

"Don't make me get the wooden spoon.  You're eating for two, so get to it!"

"What in the nine hells is going on?" Wyll asked.