Genin Days (1): Graduation Day

Two years have passed since that fateful day. After Sarah discovered her mana trait she dedicated a large portion of her free-time into learning medical ninjutsu. She was pretty great at healing, although her reserves still aren't big enough to perform any major surguries. Her seals have improved drastically too, able to easily restrain Chuunin and even some Jonin level shinobis (don't ask how she tested them out).

Today was a big day; she was finally graduating from the ninja academy. If she passed the exams then she'll officially become a shinobi of Konoha and be assigned to a Genin team. The concept of going on super cool missions amused Sarah as she walked into the school and sat down beside Naruto.

She already knew that the blonde had failed the exams twice; hopefully third time would be the charm for him. Sarah never bothered to take the exams early. Becoming a ninja before her friend just didn't seem right (although that had more to do with the fact that she wanted to be there to protect him).

Normally she would rely on Nemuri for advice but the ancient deity had remained silent; they haven't exchanged words since she unlocked her mana trait. Nemuri was probably giving her time to adjust to this newfound power, or they could be planning something. Regardless, Sarah isn't going to worry about it.

Sarah watched as one after another her classmates got called out to get tested. Slowly the classroom emptied and she was eventually called down. The exam itself wasn't hard: make a henge, a simple clone, all the boring academy stuff. Sarah didn't have access to chakra like everyone else, but instead relied on a forbidden technique to trick the Hokage and other staff there to thinking she could do that.

"Sorry I used your mind-manipulating technique Nemuri. I promise I didn't use it for any malevolent purposes!" Sarah internally said as she accepted her hitai-ate, tyeing it around her head as a makeshift headband. She wasn't particularly proud of what she had done, but at least she was a Konoha ninja now.

Exiting the building, Sarah made her way over to a nearby tree and hopped up in it. She used the branch as a makeshift seat, dangling her feet over the edge as she watched families gather around their newly graduated children. Sarah never knew her parents; one died sealing Nemuri inside her and the other tried to murder her two years ago with fire. A shiver was sent down Sarah's spine; very unpleasant memories they were.

Eventually Naruto came out of the building, sulking as he went over and sat down on the swing.

     "He must've failed again," Sarah thought as she looked down at her friend, "Hm, perhaps I could comfort him."

     "So how did it go?" Sarah asked him.

      "I failed it again," Naruto said as he gripped onto the ropes of the swing tightly, "How am I suppose to become Hokage if I can't even become a Genin?"

     Sarah didn't know the answer to that.

     "How did you pass anyways? Last time I checked you couldn't even make a single clone much less use a henge?" Naruto asked her.

     Sarah smoothly lied, "Pure luck."

     "I call bullshit," Naruto responded.

     Sarah shrugged as she hopped down from the tree, "Cheer up Naruto, there's always next time."

     "There won't be a next time for me Sarah, you can only fail three times before you get kicked out of the ninja academy." Naruto responded, "My hopes and dreams of becoming a ninja are ruined!"