𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐞

chapter one; the daughter of mars

     Did Kat have a plan? No. Unless you count 'attack and don't die' as a plan, Katarina had nothing. Yet, her plan was very much ruined by a familiar fifty-ton bronze dragon crash landing into Monocle Motors.

Katarina approached the dragon, a celestial bronze dagger held in her hand. It laid on top of a dozen blue plastic Porta-Potties that had been set up in the factory yard and abandoned along with the half finished trucks on the assembly lines and the huge machines.

The fireball that had caught Kat's eye after a crash and bang shook the entire factory had incinerated most of the toilets' contents but what remained filled the air with the most vile smell that Katarina had ever encountered. She scrunched her nose, wishing she had something to cover her airways. Of all the places the dragon, that definitely came from Camp Half-Blood and could possibly be her way out of the factory, had to land, it chose the portable toilets.

Katarina kept her footsteps quiet on the metal catwalk which was rather difficult. She wasn't alone, besides the curly haired boy who was climbing over the dragon's inanimate body, the one-eyed Ma Gasket was lurking with her sons waiting to make Kat her next meal.

She kept her distance, studying the boy. The dragon was steaming in the cool air and the snow that fell upon it melted. Katarina wondered how he hadn't been burnt by the metal. And more importantly, she wondered who he was.

He was from Camp Half-Blood, the orange shirt under his army fatigue jacket that matched Kat's pointed out the obvious but Katarina didn't recognise him and she knew everyone at Camp Half-Blood. She'd have remembered him.

He slid off the dragon, scratched his head and stared at the metal beast. Kat's eyes didn't stray. He must be a child of Hephaestus, Katarina came to that conclusion quickly, the boy reminded her of her friend who'd helped build the dragon some summers ago with his father's blessing.

"Festus, you're making me look bad," Kat's lip curled up, definitely a child of Hephaestus.

Kat looked up at the darkening sky. Her godly father's dislike for his brother was stirring in Katarina's veins for the boy. If she wasn't so afraid, she'd curse Ares.

Hephaestus' son pried open the control panel on the dragon's head. He stared at the wiring and his shoulders sunk. "Oh, Festus, what the heck?".

Katarina wanted to inch closer, curious to know what was wrong with the dragon but she kept her distance. He brushed snow off his shoulders and spoke into the air, "Gimme a nylon-bristle detail brush, some nitrile gloves and maybe a can of that aerosol cleaning solvent".