Twenty-Seven

I wasn't surprised at the lovely setting that William prepared in advance for us. It included a nice late lunch along with lots of things to peck at for the rest of the night like fruits, chocolates, and other snacks. As I peeled an orange, not realizing how much I'd been craving one, William spoke.

"What was it that you wanted to talk to me about?" he asked, nestling his head into my shoulder, watching me peel the citrusy fruit.

"Oh, you mean what I wrote in the letter?"

"Yes."

I laughed nervously, the juices from the orange satisfying my tastebuds. "W-well... On the night of the festival... I ended up training with Mereoleona. And long story short... Our secret got out. She and Charlotte know. A-and Noelle. And one of Charlotte's Knights. Sh-shit, and Yuno's Wind Spirit..."

William lifted his head from my shoulder and looked at me, almost seeming annoyed. "That's all it was? You made it seem like something super important."

Of course he doesn't care... To him, the more people that know, the better. "And apparently we were really loud when we were having sex."

That was what got him to widen his eyes. "...So they heard us then?"

"The whole building did, according to them both. And... I have to be honest. I discussed it with Nozel yesterday as well because they asked about him too so I knew I had to tell him. I-I count that in the category of 'catching up.' Anyway... He said we were loud too."

He sighed. "Understandable. I guess we have to be a little more careful then. I'm sure they'll be snooping if they're that curious."

"I agree," I replied, stuffing another piece of orange into my mouth.

I felt William's intense gaze. When I turned to look at him, he had an expression that was all too familiar. It was an incredibly determined look. I knew what he was going to say before he opened his mouth.

"We don't have to keep us a secret you know. We can tell people that we're having a relationship. I... I'd like to. If not now, then... Soon? I still want to make us official," he said softly, wrapping an arm around my waist and moving my half-eaten orange from my lap. Will intertwined his fingers with mine.

I quickly swallowed what was left in my mouth and looked him in the eye. "I..." I began, so many thoughts protruding my mind. Do I even want to make things official yet? I really like him... He's a good partner. But... "I still don't feel ready for that yet."

He sighed. "Iris, you know I'll wait forever for you. But this is killing me."

"I know. And I'm sorry. There's just too much on my mind. Maybe after this whole thing with the Midnight Sun is over. How does that sound?"

He flinched. Something about that suggestion bothered him, but it was unclear of what or why. "...O-okay. Let's do that."

I sighed in relief. "Alright. We haven't been together that long either. It's only been what, a few months or so?"

He hummed to himself. "I think so. But that doesn't matter to me. I know what I want. I want you."

All I could manage was a nervous laugh. But thankfully he didn't press anymore and picked up the orange he'd set aside earlier. After putting a piece in his mouth I bit my lip, feeling an urge to have more of it. But then William took another slice and put it up to my lips. He smiled, clearly only wanting me to eat half. Maybe there was a special appeal to feeding me so sensually. As I wrapped my lips around the fruit and sunk my teeth into it, I had to pull away quickly since the juices were dribbling down my chin.