LV. If I Die

Beginne am Anfang

"Catch these," Kenji instructed. He began dropping bags down to Sammy and Brooklynn to catch onto.

Eva zipped shut her suitcase and pushed it down the slide. Then, she headed for her bunk, where Tiff's gun had been resting.

"Is this it?" Brooklynn asked.

"Yeah, I'll just grab the—"

The gate bounced open with a bang, and everyone turned to face a panting Yaz.

"Yaz? Why aren't you at the dock?"

"The surf is... way too intense... to cast off." Yaz sniffed, and blew out a heavy breath. "Boat's already taking on water. No way to leave until the seas calm down."

"So, we're stuck?" Sammy whimpered. "With the Scorpios out there?"

Eva propped the rifle against the table, then slid down the slide after Ben.

Kenji set down the two duffle bags he was carrying. "A-avoiding killer dinos is kinda our thing."

"Not like this killer dino," Brooklynn said.

"We've only survived to this long because we know how dinosaurs should act. With the Scorpios Rex on a rampage, all bets are off. Soon... survival will be impossible."

"Don't beat yourself up," Kenji said, stepping forward. "There's nothing anyone could have done."

"You could have done the one thing I asked you to do," he snapped. "Then we could've made it to the boat."

"Easy, Darius!"

Kenji raised his hand to her, silently telling her to stand down. "I'm sorry I didn't anticipate the new, scarier franken-dino. My— my bad."

"You said you had everything handled!"

"I did until Ben of the Jungle ran off!"

"Hey, I didn't ask you to follow me! Besides, whether or not I was here, you could have grabbed more than your own bag and hair gel."

"That's not fair, he was worried about you," Yasmina said.

"Okay, okay," Brooklynn butted in. "What's important right now is that we come up with a plan."

"Well, while we wait for the storm to pass, let's do what we can to shore up the perimeter fence. Just in case."

"We could use some of the rubble to fortify the fence, maybe?" Kenji offered to a frustrated Darius.

"Yeah, good idea," he responded dryly.

The campers instantly got to work, heaving the rubble from Camp Cretaceous up against their fence. Sammy rolled a tire up to the fence. Eva pulled a long plank of wood up against it.

"Ben, Eva!" Brooklynn called over. "Help me with this!"

The trio all approached the jeep to pry one of the tires off of it.

Ben wheeled it away, while Eva and Brooklynn moved for a long piece of wood. Eva lifted from the back, moving forward as Brooklynn walked backwards carrying the wood. They tapped the horn by accident, causing Kenji to fall from the rubble tower he was standing on.

"Sorry!" Brooklynn apologized.

"Wait, if the horn has power..."

Kenji heaved the heavy car battery out of the trunk and onto the gravel.

"Now look around for some wires," he instructed Darius and Brooklynn. "Eva, help me carry this inside."

"You got it, Boss."