Is that okay?

Request - Y/nis John's new secretary, during all the craziness kacey has to save her a time or two as well as she has saved him  and they end up falling for eachother literally and figuratively.

"Good morning, sir," You smiled up as John walked through the front door.

"Morning, Y/N," John nodded his head to you as he reached for his coffee you always left him on the counter near your desk. "Bless you."

You had worked for John Dutton as his secretary in the Livestock Commission's office for almost a year now. You liked John because as long as you did your job, he really left you alone. Sure, there were some ethical things you questioned at times, but for the most part the two of you had a good system. He worked too much in your opinion, but since you didn't have anyone waiting on you at home, you found yourself working right along with him.

"Oh, Y/N?" John looked back at you.

"Yes?" You waited.

"My son will be coming in today," John said. "He's joining as an officer."

"Oh, okay," You started to search for the paperwork that would be needed. "So finger prints, ID scans, and I'll start asking about trainings and a few ride a longs for him...is it Jamie, sir?"

"Uh, no," John shook his head. "My youngest, Kayce."

You watched John walk down the hall to his office. You hadn't met his youngest son yet. He was the one who left the family very young because he had a son with a Native girl on the reservation. You had heard from John they divorced last year and now Kayce lived back on the ranch and worked for his father.

The rest of your morning went by smoothly as you tended to your tasks and answered phone calls. You were on with your friend who worked in the Billings office when a guy walked into the room. He looked young, maybe a few years older than you, but what you caught more so was the black eyes he had on. You told your friend you'd call her back.

"Can I help you?" You asked nicely with a smile.

"I'm here to see my father," The guy said.

"Your...dad?" You stood up from your seat.

"John Dutton," The guy said. "I'm uh..."

"Kayce?" You nodded. "Right, you're here to become an officer."

You walked around your desk and held your hand out.

"I'm Y/N, I've worked for your dad for almost a year," You smiled politely. "He's on his way back from a meeting but should be here in about five minutes. Would you like something to drink while you wait?"

Kayce shook your hand, and you noticed his hand was warm and rough, but comforting.

"No, thank you," Kayce said. "Where's he coming from?"

"Not sure," You shrugged. "Said he had a meeting after lunch and would be back to meet you."

Kayce nodded and you watched his eyes glance around the room. He looked nervous and you felt bad for the guy. From what you knew, being a Dutton wasn't easy and it looked like the favorite son was now back in that world.

**

"Kayce!" You growled, finally getting him on the phone.

"What?" Kayce snapped.

"I told you; you can't take fleet vehicles-"

"I didn't!" Kayce yelled.

"Yes you did!" You snapped back. "They have trackers, Kayce...do you think I'm an idiot?"

"No, I don't think you're an idiot," Kayce grumbled. "But I am on the concrete, taking hits from these fuckers and I'd really like some back up."

"I already called them," You sighed. "Back up is one minute out...you should hear their sirens."

"Thank you," Kayce hung up.

An hour later, John, Kayce and a few other team members walked through the front door. You looked up and smiled at each of them as they made their ways to their offices. Kayce stopped in front of you and waited for the others to leave.

"You're assigned a vehicle for a safety reason," You told Kayce. "You can't just take whatever you want and think there won't be consequences!"

"I know," He smiled. "I'm sorry."

"No, you're not," You rolled your eyes but let a smirk grace your lips. "Was any one injured?"

"All intact," Kayce said. "Thanks for your concern though."

"It's my job," You told him.

"Sure, darlin'," Kayce nodded before walking away.

You felt your cheeks blush.

**

Kayce busted through the front door so fast, some of the shutters broke off. You looked up and barely had enough time before Kayce was reaching over and grabbing your arm. HE pulled you down the hall and pushed you into the storage closet before shutting the door behind you both. You then heard the front door open again, followed by gunfire. You tripped over something and fell down. Kayce looked behind his shoulder and down at you.

"Ouch," You winced.

"Shush," Kayce kneeled in front of you and pulled his gun out.

"Kayce?" You asked, leaning toward him.

Kayce reached back and placed his hand over your mouth. The two of you were quiet as you listened. Whoever was in the office was tearing the place apart. You heard furniture breaking and yelling, along with gun fire. You felt yourself scoot closer to Kayce, leaning against his back as he kept on guard. A few minutes later and the noise stopped.

You took a shaky breath as Kayce stood up slowly. He opened the door and took one step out. You watched him turn and then fire three times. You screamed, holding your ears and closed your eyes. It wasn't until you felt two hands on your arms before you started thrashing.

"Hey!" Kayce said, shaking you. "It's me...it's okay...you're okay."

"What happened?" You asked, holding onto Kayce tightly.

"I don't know," Kayce took a deep breath. "But you're safe."

**

You pulled up to the Dutton Family Ranch and got out of your car. The mountain range in the background was massive, taking your breath away. The cooler air felt good in your lungs as you walked up to the front door. Before you could knock though, the door opened, Kayce's smile meeting yours.

"Hi," He said.

"Hi," You smiled.

"Thanks for coming," Kayce stood back as you stepped inside.

"Thought it was the least I could do," You turned to him.

"How are you?" Kayce led you into a living room.

"I'm...okay," You said. "How are you?"

"Okay," Kayce stuck his hands in his pockets.
He had invited you out to the ranch. It had been two weeks since the attack at the office where had it not been for Kayce, you'd be dead. The thought had kept you up at night for a while and then there were the conflicting feelings you had about the man in front of you. It wasn't the hero complex; you had felt this way about Kayce for a while now. But him literally saving you had expedited things.

"I never thanked you, did I?" You asked him.

"You don't need to," Kayce shook his head.

"Of course, I do," You frowned and stepped closer to him. "You saved my life."

"You've saved mine a few times," Kayce smiled softly at you.

"Thank you," You sighed. "I don't know-"

Kayce cut you off by pressing his lips softly to yours. The kiss was warm and sweet, a stark contrast to the usual side of Kayce you saw at work. His hands held your face gently as he kissed you again. You leaned into him, your hands resting on his chest. When he pulled back a few inches your eyes fluttered back open and looked into his.

"Hope that was okay?" Kayce asked.

"Yeah," You nodded your head.

"Yeah?" Kayce smirked, leaning back in.

"Uh huh," You pressed your lips to his again.