1: Merliah

As I sit on the couch in the living room of the Salvatore brothers boarding house, I just know that everyone can see my thoughts. I've never been one for hiding them. But today, hard as I am trying, I know that anger, worry, and determination is written all over my face. I know because my friends Elena and Stefan, with my sister Caroline gather around me, their expressions filled with concern.

   "why am I here?" I bark out, not intending to sound as rude as I did. I don't want to be here. Elena never invites me unless they need me.

   "Merliah, please just listen," Stefan steps forward, sitting down on the couch beside me, wrapping one strong arm around my shoulder.  "We have been researching for ways to bring Bonnie and Damon home from the prison world."

"We also believe that we have finally found one. but it won't be easy and we need you to do it," Elena sighs. Elena, beautiful perfect Elena. Everybody loves her and I do too, but she would sacrifice everyone in this room to bring her precious serial killing boyfriend home.

   I take a deep breath, knowing exactly what she's going to say next. she's going to tell me that I have to go to the prison world to get them or something along those lines. That's the one thing I have learned since living in Mystic Falls. No matter whether you're a witch, vampire, werewolf, freaking original hybrid, or even human, you always and I mean always, get roped into some conniving supernatural scheme. And that's whether you want to or not. I would've rather not gotten involved with a cruel original, I would've rather not had my friends get sent to a mysterious prison world, the list goes on and on. But yet, here I am, allowing myself to get roped into a rescue mission.
"Why do you need me?" I ask, sinking further into Stefan's arm that's still wrapped around my shoulder.
"Because we need two witches. One being a Parker witch, and since Jo doesn't have her magic Liv has agreed to help us." Elena says so matter of factly. God she's one of my best friends, but sometimes I just want to slap her.
"And why me?"
"Because you're a witch. And since Bonnie is... indisposed, you're the only one we have." Wow, way to sound sincere Elena. "We need you and Liv to use the ascendant to travel to the prison world. There is another ascendant there that you can use to get the four of you back here."
Caroline places a perfectly manicured hand on my shoulder, offering support. But I don't let her know that it isn't doing a single damn thing to calm the nerves that at this point are bubbling up in my stomach.
"Okay... let's do it." What kind of friend would I be if I didn't do this? A terrible one that's for sure.
"Merliah, we know it won't be a walk in the park. The prison world is dangerous. We don't know what kind of challenges there are. Stefan turns to face me. "But we're all in this together." His face, nothing more than a determined expression.
"Absolutely. I mean we've faced tougher situations before, and we've always come out on the other side even stronger. This won't be any different. We'll be right by your side every step of the way." Elena chimes, and I feel a hint of gratitude at her words. True as they may be, a part of me also knows that if it wasn't her boyfriend trapped on the other side, she'd still be living her college life back at Whitmore without a single damn to give.
"Thank you guys. But what we need to do, is make a plan and gather our resources. We have the ascendant, a Parker witch and me, what else do we need?"
As we all exchange somewhat determined nods Steffens, living room, transforms into a hub of activity, maps and research papers scattered across the table.
~~~~~~~~
"Are you ready?" My friend? Liv stares at me intently. Liv Parker. My best friend besides my own sister. If I didn't know any better, I would say she could see into my soul. I look over at her, her eyes filled with concern. I know what she actually wants to ask. She wants to ask me 'are you sure you want to do?' This is the same thing the rest of my friends have been asking me all day. With Liv and I being the only witches here now I guess there truly was only one choice on who to send.
"Yes, Liv I have told you that 1000 times since last night. That goes for all of you" I turn and gesture to the group of friends standing behind me. "I have to do this "I assure them. I turned back to Liv before they can notice the display of nerves that I'm sure is showing on my face right about now. hoping my tone of voice don't clue the vampires in to the cluster fuck that spewing in my brain at the moment. "I have to do this "I whisper more to myself than anyone else in the room but of course I can't lie to myself. Of course, I'm nervous about traveling to the prison world or if I'm being honest, I'm extremely fucking nervous.
What if something goes wrong? Something almost always goes wrong with these things. The thought enters my mind. God how I wish that voice up there in my head was just something I could motus across the room right now. But what if it doesn't? I fight back. And the thought was more than enough to motivate me to push through. To get this done. To save my friends.
The alternative scared me even more than traveling to this other side. The alternative of Bonnie and Damon never been back home. We're getting to reunite with the people who have missed them so deeply for the past four months. Damon and Bonnie back home. That's what I need. For them to get back here and be with all of us. The place I call home, Mystic Falls, just now seems off with the absence of two of my best friends. Damon isn't here to crack at everyone's expense. And Bonnie my absolute best friend isn't here to gossip or practice magic with.
I say, as I square my shoulders, and try to prepare myself for what inevitably lies ahead. It's for Bonnie and Damon. I'll try to remind myself. Just for a few minutes at the most. I sucked down a brief lungful of air before turning to face my friends.
"Be careful Merliah. I mean that. And you two live we all need you back here safe too. Not just Bonnie and Damon." Elena says. I send a soft smile her way as she fails to hide the sense of worry in her voice.
"Thank you, Elena. We will be okay, and we'll be right back." I say to assure myself more that Elena.
I can see the concerned expressions on all of their faces. I know as well as they do that I'm taking a great risk, my magic not at the moment. The original plan was for Luke and Stefan to go. But Luke refused to help any of us after Elena's breakdown. After he refused to give her any more herbs that would help her keep hallucinating, her dead (or so we thought at the time) boyfriend. I mean Elena did physically attack him. But I mean it was his fault Damon got stuck there to begin with, or I don't know maybe I'm by us just because I don't like him, but the feeling is mutual.
"Liv can go alone, Merliah." I flash back to the words Stefan said to me just mere minutes before Liv arrived.
"I thought you said we needed two witches?" I look at him, dumbfounded.
"We thought we did. But we don't. You don't have to do this. You don't need to constantly put yourself at risk." I sigh at his words.
"Look Stefan. I know you may not understand this... but this... it's just something I have to do. Okay? Bonnie is my best friend and she has done so much for me. She'd be doing this exact thing if the roles were reversed."
"I know bu-"
"You know just as well as I do that if it weren't for Bonnie, I'd be dead too. Not just other side dead either. I owe her at least this much." I feel myself growing more and more nervous every second he looks at me without saying anything. Anything at all. Not even so much as a sigh
"And that's why I love you, Merliah. I think you're the one who needs the hero hair. Just be careful." He finally breaks the silence, that awkward silence that everybody grows tired of.
"Maybe I should make a trip to the 1994 prison world salon," I joke back, a genuine smile on my face. Stefan Salvatore, my best friend. "And I love you too buddy." I say as he leans down and plants a small kiss to my forehead.
"Merliah, before you go, I want you to do something."
"What is it now Stefan? You need my help catching a bunny rabbit?" I tease, earning a small chuckle from the big bad vampire.
"No. As it is, I've actually moved on to bigger things. Like deer." I laugh, my face once again displaying a huge smile. "I actually want you to siphon me. So you have an extra charge before you go."
"Oh my god. Stefan no. I couldn't. I don't want to-" I start to say but he cuts me off before I can finish.
"You don't want to hurt me?" He smirks. "You couldn't if you tried. I'm a vampire, remember?" He laughs. That laugh, that so damn easy to love laugh. It's the laugh that made me fall in love with him. The laugh that hurts me every time I hear it because I know deep down he isn't over Elena freaking Gilbert. "Merliah?" Stefan's voice breaks my train of thought as he fiddles with a strand of my hair and tucks it behind my ear. God how I wish he would do that everyday.
"Is that a challenge, Salvatore?" I raise my eyebrow, dawning a smirk to hide my one thoughts.
"It so is. So maybe we can test that theory when you return." Did he just? Was that? Is the one and only Stefan Salvatore being dirty right now? "But please. Siphon me." Knowing my friend won't let this go untill I do, I gesture for him to give me his arm. An eerie feeling running through me at the thought of taking the vampire magic running through his veins. I carefully wrap my hands around his wrist, and in all honestly, one hand would suffice. His forearm reached out in front of me, his veins peeking through his muscular arm. I'm still not in full control of my ability yet. What if I mess up or take too much. I've never met another with like me that could train me. Liv has a family and a coven. Bonnie had grams. Me? I never had anyone. So I know this will probably take longer than he's expecting me that I will probably hurt my friend in the process.
I close my eyes, folding my hands tightly around the vampires wrist, and try my hardest to concentrate. I usually only siphon from magical objects like grimores or relics. This is all new to me too. After about a minute, I start to feel a heat course through my body. Is that it? Is that what absorbing a persons magic feels like? My forearm tingles as I open my eyes. Looking down to the bright red glow around my hand and Stefan's wrist. A small groan of displeasure escapes from Stefan's lips.
"I'm so sorry." I whisper, trying to fight back the urge to keep taking. It feels so good.
"It's okay Merliah." Stefan wraps his free arm around me. As I feel my magic tank almost burst with energy, I hesitantly release my grip on him.
"Thank you Stefan!" I cry, throwing my arms around him for a quick hug. His arms wrap almost immediately around my back and I revel in the feeling untill the embrace is quickly cut off by Livs voice.
"Remember. We only have one hour exactly before I need to pull us out of there." Liv states. I know she doesn't actually want to be doing this. She just feels bad. "Since we're doing the spell here, this is exactly where we'll end up in the prison world." I nod hastily at my friend, just ready to get there and back and be done with all of this. Besides if we'll already be at the boarding house, it won't take nowhere near an hour Bonnie and Damon are bound to be here. Or there. Well here, just in a different time. "Ready?"
"Yes. Yes I'm ready." I nod. I jump a little as Liv grabs my hand and closes her eyes. I close mine after giving one more smile to Stefan, and begin to softly chant the incantation with her. The gears in the ascendant in her hand beginning to turn loudly. My eyes open as a bright light encases both me and Liv in its claws. Watching as the faces of my friends begin to disappear in an instant, into the light that's engulfing me. An annoying buzz in my ear growing louder. In a few short moments, the buzzing ends Useless, and I'm left with complete and utter silence. A Loud grunt leaves my mouth as we roughly land on the solid ground. I take a deep breath and a smile plays at my lips as I look up to find myself standing in front of the Salvatore boarding house.
"We didn't it!" A smile excitedly splits across my face as I turn to look at Liv. "They're just right behind that door! We're so close!"
"Well come on then." Liv, begins to walk to the door. The door. That damn door now being the only thing separating me and some of my best friends. Well, Bonnie, at least. I still don't know why I'd call Damon. Maybe just a dick. I chuckle lightly to myself. Liv grips my hand and drags me towards the door with her. As I reached the steps, my feet eagerly carry me up and when I reach the front door, I eagerly throw it open, almost tearing the damn thing off its hinges.
That's weird I think to myself, as the smell of cooking pancakes was through the air and into my nostrils. It must be Bonnie because the Damon I know can't cook for shit. Either way, no time was wasted as I spur into the kitchen. Liv trailing closely behind me. My eyes begin to fill with tears as I stop by the doorway, two ever so familiar voices, making their way to my ears. Here I am. A few feet away from my friends, after being gone for four long grueling months.
"You know Bon-Bon. If you're going to act like that, I could just let you starve." Damon says, not bothering to turn around from where he stands. Hovering over the stove, I guess he learned how to cook. I decide to wait for at least a few more moments before I make my appearance known. And yes, solely for the purpose of eavesdropping on this most likely hilarious exchange between my two buddies.
"If it will get me away from you Damon, please do." Alarm arises in my throat as I try to stifle the laughter coming up for my friends harsh insult. "I think that would definitely be eating the same blueberry pancakes every day. With the same stupid whipped cream smiley face." Bonnie continues. I agree, glad to know that her usual attitude towards the older Salvatore brother is still there.
"It's a smiley face... with fangs Bonnie. You can't tell me that's not hilarious!"
"Well here goes nothing, Liv." I smile as I slowly begin striding into the eating area, but pause when Bonnie speaks again.
"Hey Damon, here's some advice. After four months, it's not funny anymore. " I push my hands in my mouth, almost laughing as I can practically hear the scow that Damon most likely has on his face right now. I exchange your Iroll with live as a two continue arguing. I can't wait anymore as I feel the excitement bubbling in the pit of my stomach.
"I mean would it kill you to learn how to cook bacon and eggs or something?" Bonnie groans.
I try to greet them, but the words get caught in my throat the moment I lay eyes on the very unlikely pair. Bonnie is sat in a stool at the kitchen island, an old newspaper crossword laid out on the counter in front of her, a pen twirling in her hand. I look over at Damon as he places another fresh pancake on a plate of untouched food beside him. A fanged face made from blueberries and whipped cream on top.
    "I still can't figure out 27 across. After four months," Bonnie huffs, tapping her pen angrily over the puzzle. It's only a matter of seconds before the raven haired vampires senses catch up to him. Grumbling something undecipherable under his breath. I watch as he spins on his heel and freezes midstep. I hold a finger to my lips to signal him not to say anything as his eyes zero in on me and live. His eyes just remain wide, looking as if he's trying to decide if I'm real or not. The wave I sit in his direction must convince him. He's not dreaming as a spatula covered in pancake batter falls from his hand. Allowed the coming through the air as it hits the ground. 
    "Old tongue twister Eddie turned top 40," Bonnie groans confused. "Wait. Damon what was th-" Bonnie begins to question after reading the crossword question. Her body freezes as she looks up at him. "Damon?" Slowly following his gaze she finally turns around.
    "Yellow ledbetter" I give her the answer she's been looking for. Her olive green eyes are the size on an owls as she stares at me and Liv. Her lips parted in what seems to be disbelief.
     "Yellow led-"
      "Hey Bon." I wave to her. "Damon," I say trying my best to not sound to eager at the sight of him standing there. Healthy and alive. I fail miserably as a smiley quickly creeps into my face. "How have you been?" I ask, trying to blink away the tears that are threatening to spill from my eye sockets at any given moment. "Also, we're here to take you back home," I continue as I begin to race towards Bonnie.
     A sharp gasp leaves my lips as Damon suddenly appears in front of me. His face inches for mine. I guess he didn't lose his vampire abilities. As he's Gripping tightly to my shoulders, I'm left suddenly feeling as if I should've worn a cardigan sing as my shirt is a strapless tube top.
    "Listen here you witch," I crack a small smile as Damon as he sputters out the words.
     "Okay bloodsucker. I'm listening."
      " if you're some kind of freaky figment of my imagination, playing on my desire to get out of here and see my friends, but it's only here to tell me that this is actually my personal hell, then I'm gonna need you to say that. Maybe blink three times. Or don't blink at all. But still, it's not cool."
   "Damon Salvatore. Did you just call me your friend? "I smirk. Suddenly my supply of oxygen is cut off as Bonnie barrels her way into me and embraces me in a tight bear hug. Knocking out any breath I may have still had in my pipes after she about whipped me to the floor with her initial response.
    "Merliah? Is that really you kiddo? Damon scoff in disbelief.
   "Damon. And kiddo, really? I'm 21 years old you dick I laugh.
    " oh you're 20s "Damon wiggles his fingers in my face. "How scary, you're almost in a coffin from old age. If you haven't forgotten, Merliah, 168 years old. So I think I have you beat in the age department, "he smirks.
   "I missed you two." I managed to squeeze the words from my mouth, despite the lump rising in my throat. Causing the words to come out in a choked manner. "I'm so glad you're both OK, "I send a stare at Damon. "Well mainly Bonnie. You can't imagine how grueling these last four months have been without you two." Bonnie wrapped me in her arms and another tight hug. I pee at the vampire over my friend shoulder and try to outstretch my open arm to him. "Damon, come here. Or do you still think you're going senile and I'm a figment of your imagination?" I tease. I'm a bench shot when he easily complied with my request. Immediately rushing over and snaking a strong arm over both Bonnie and eyes shoulders and burying his face in my neck. 
    "Jesus Merliah. I was starting to think I would never see you again, "the vampire mutters out.
      "We all worried the same thing, Damon. But if that was the case, that would suck, because who else would I then be able to constantly bicker with. But not to worry now, we're all going home, "I say softly. With one short moment, the three of us part from the tight group embrace. I bet they're ready to get back. To finally return to the life that they were so truly excluded from for what must have seemed like an eternity. 
    "Well Bonster. Would you look at that, "Damon glance is that Bonnie, a smug mark playing on his lips. "Maybe I shouldn't have been so quick to shut down your relentless optimism Bennett. Dare I say, it was even justified. Looks like we're finally getting the H E double hockey sticks out of this place. The only downside here is, that now you're gonna have to learn how to live with without my awesome pancakes every morning. "
    I watch as Bonnie wipes are falling, tear from her already tear stain cheek, letting out a small chuckle as she shakes her head at him. "You know what Damon, you're right. How could I ever survive? I'm sure I'll manage just fine though, "she retorts, earning a turtle from Damon. I let out a small chuckle as I turned to liv, who also has a small grin on her face from observing the same before her. 
   "Let's go home Liv." I tell the blonde, and the four of us gathering a line, standing in the main room, linking hands with the person beside us. Li I tell the blonde, and the four of us gathering a line, standing in the main room, linking hands with the person beside us. Liv, Damon, Bonnie, and then finally me. I look at liv the ascendant ready in her hand.
    "I thought you witchy boos needed some sort of celestial event for this to work? Like an eclipse or something else that's an equally creepy witch thing?" Damon pipes up, his eyebrows raised as he looks at Liv.
     " most witches do. But not if you're a Parker, "live replies, shooting him a glare before closing her eyes. This detail was something I had learned yesterday, after all the research, my friends, and I had thrown ourselves into. All it took, was a phone call from Jo, livs older sister, but also a doctor. Elena was shadowing on her volunteer shifts at Whitmore Hospital, and most recently, the girlfriend of my old history teacher, who had become more like a grumpy old friend these days, alaric Saltzman. Jo had called to warn liv about the phone call she had received from their father. Something about there being a disturbance in the prison world where her brother had been locked up in for the past eighteen years. The prison world we're currently in. Apparently her brother had been locked away for some heinous acts that I still know nothing about. Mainly because Liv won't talk about it. A disturbance that coincidentally was caused by two supernatural beings, right around the same time the travelers were disposed of, and the other side collapsed. Four months ago, when we all thought we had lost our friends for good. 
    "Ready?" liv asks calmly, her eyes remaining shut. I close my eyes, more than ready to leave this strange display of Mystic Falls behind for the real one.
    "Uh uh uh. Hold on." an unfamiliar, male voice, fills my ears, cutting livs incantation off, rather abruptly. A voice that also sounds undeniably hot. Like so fucking hot. I open my eyes rapidly, peering at the three friends beside me, their eyes still shut. In the good old Damon fashion, I had actually considered that I had a hallucinated the voice. But as all three of my friends open their eyes, I knew they'd heard it too. I looked to liv, expecting her to start the chant again, to only see her face pailing like she had seen a ghost, or was currently recovering from a sickness. Irritation flickered over Damon's voice, wiping away any trace of the grand he wore just mere seconds ago.