Coming to the Cavendish manor

Friday 23rd June 1995, Loperèc, France

"I didn't even know it, but there I was living for a week, with who would end up being my future mothers, as you noticed Diana, my father was a big alcoholic, he didn't care much for me, which even ended up making it very easy for the mothers to adopt me, my paternal grandmother also allowed it, I don't remember why, but I was able to live very happily in their presence, it was quite marvellous, I was finally feeling what it was like to be truly loved, something that neither my paternal grandparents nor my father did, nor the town, with the exception of a few people, but even then it wasn't the same, I was taken by surprise when the news arrived right at my bedroom door."

I'm going to play a lot today, Mrs Laura and Mrs Bernadette are very nice, they've really come to stay here and play with me, I don't want them to ever leave, I want them to stay forever, I go outside and see that the two of them were here, will they call me to play? I hope so, they've even said they're going to teach me to speak their different language, English, it's going to be really fun.

"Good morning, little Chariot" said the cabbage-haired girl, as friendly as ever.

"Good morning, Mrs Laura, good morning, Mrs Bernadette" I say politely.

"Now do it in English, let's see if you've learnt with us" said Mrs Bernadette and I shook my head.

"Good morning miss Laura, good morning miss Bernadette" I learnt this new word, and the two of them even clapped their hands happily.

"Chariot, now that you're awake go pack your bags, you're leaving" said my father and I was confused.

"Am I leaving? No! No! I don't want to be away from Mrs Bernadette and Mrs Laura! Marry them, Dad! I want to stay with them!" I don't want them to leave or me, they're very nice.

"It's not that Chariot, there's no need to cry, you're going with us, we'll help you pack, get ready to say goodbye to your father" What? You mean I'm going with them? I'm going to their land? So far away, I'll get to know them there? That's great, I'm going to get excited.

"Bernadette has adopted you, she's going to take you with her friend to Scotland, we're not in much of a position to bring you up, we've sorted things out here, if you want to visit us just ask your new mum" New mum? Mrs Bernadette and Mrs Laura are my mothers? That's great! Does that mean I'm leaving? It doesn't matter, it'll be nice to stay with them.

I shook my head and ran into the bedroom, tidying up my things, trying to put them in my suitcase, but I didn't have any, I was very agitated, then I saw the two arriving and I calmed down, Mrs Bernadette started folding the clothes, she kept everything organised and it was a huge suitcase, they were putting everything in and I was very amazed, I'm going to live with them! That's great! I'm going to have a new house! I love Dad, but I really want to stay in this new place! Sometimes it feels like Dad doesn't even like me.

"You see, it's much simpler to put things away like this, there's more space in the suitcases, let's see if you can learn from us" said Mrs Bernadette and I was all smiles as I followed her folding the clothes, learning everything.

[...]

I say goodbye to everyone, we fill the car with things, it's a nice big car, it looks black, I hug everyone, I'm feeling like the happiest person in the world, I never thought I'd get new mums, they're the best people in the world, I'm going to play a lot these days, it's going to be a lot of fun, ahhhhh, I'm jumping with excitement, then Mrs Laura opens the car door, where I sit in the back seat, there's plenty of room.

"Woah, look at the size of the car in here" I say impressed.

"You can make yourself comfortable in the seat, but don't forget to put your seatbelt on" said the lady... You mean Mum? It's Mum Bernadette now.