Chapter 51

MYA

On Valentine's Day I eat Ben and Jerry's.

I came to the conclusion, the longest relationship I've ever had to a guy must be my long-time commitment to Ben and Jerry. I might as well be a married woman by now.

My iPad has Gossip Girl playing, those episodes of Nate and Serena. After the superior endgame called Blair and Chuck, Nate and Serena would be my second favorite ship. I had a downright bad phase this morning as before classes I made the mistake to go through photos of me and Ashton, but after a long day filled with theory and some spoons of my favorite ice cream, I am trying to focus on the never-ending drama of the Upper East Side only.

That doesn't work so well, if I might add.

It's then I hear knocking on the door. I think it's Clarissa. My classmate who also got selected to come to Harvard for the interview week, decided to go to Boston and find herself a rich man today. She asked me if I wanted to join her, I said I already found my guy, while pointing at the ice cream. She chuckles as she left through the door.

"Clare, I really hope you came in luck, cause I really need a spin in your brand new Ferrari right now", I shout before I open the door.

Only it isn't Clarissa staring at me.

But Ashton.

My heart shatters.

"Sweetheart", he breathes.

Not going there, Mya.

"What are you doing here?", I ask him, making my voice sound cold.

I see the pain in his eyes at my tone, but I need answers and I need them now. If I'm about to risk it all for this guy, then I'd better know it isn't a mistake.

"It's Valentine's Day, Mya", he answers, as if that would explain everything. "I came to see my Valentine."

He hands me a bouquet of red roses, then a small jewellery box.

"Sure. Bail out on me then buy me a ring", I mutter. "Way to go, Ash."

Realizing I make no sign to take his gifts, he places the flowers on the first cupboard he sees and opens the jewellery box himself. He takes out a small necklace with a heart, that he opens to reveal two pictures, one on each half. One is me doing a kissing face, the other one is him doing a kissing face. I remember us taking them at a photo booth once. When you close the heart, the two pictures kiss each other.

He comes closer, his usual scent filling me in. Gently, he puts the necklace around my neck. "I fucked up", he says, completely ruining the moment. Wouldn't he have reminded me of that, I would have kissed him then and there. Yet here we go again, back at ground zero. "I was supposed to make a choice, and instead of choosing, I ran away. I don't expect you to forgive me, but I needed to make sure you don't forget me. For I could never forget you. I'm still chasing you, sweetheart."

A random guy steps on the hallway and gives us a WTF look. I pull Ashton inside the room, and close the door.

"You have five minutes", I say firm.

He sighs exhausted and I lead him towards the living room. I take a sit on the couch as he's pacing around the room. Before I know what he's doing, he's coming close to me, so close I can almost touch him. It's then he begins: "A few months ago, Father decided to cut me out of his will."

"Ash", I let out. "You know I wouldn't care about that. I don't care about the money. I have only ever wanted you."

His eyes get a bit of life as he hears that, yet somber again as he continues: "It's then he...well, he..." Before I know, he removes his hoodie and turns around. I gasp as I see what he was hiding all this time. His back is covered by a large scar, as if from a burn. I come closer, running with my fingers along it. He gasps from pain, and I stop, freezing in place seeing him hurt.