Chapter 3

MYA

"Hey Mom", I say while entering through the door. My Mom owns a bookstore not far away from my school, so I usually walk over there after school and help her out. I look over at the counter, yet I find Daisy, Mom's employee, and not Mom.

"Kitchen", Daisy tells me with a smile. I thank her and make my way to the other part of the building. Wonder Bookstore ain't just a bookstore. It's a coffee shop and florist's as well. Mom got it from the ones who used to own this place before, and since she's a flower lover and a coffee addict, guess who I got that one from, it just matches her so well.

I find her kneeling in front of the oven, looking at something inside.

"Everything okay?", I can't help but ask. Mom, who must have not heard me enter, turns to look around and smiles bright.

"Sweetie", she begins. She makes me a sign to come and as I'm close to her, she plants a kiss on the top of my head. She then looks back at the oven as if it were her greatest enemy. I can see that she's wearing a white blouse with a pair of jeans, her floral Converse, and an apron that is filled with flour. So are some strands of her black hair, yet she tucked them with a hair clip.

"I've been trying to nail my recipe for Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes, yet they won't grow", Mom lets out annoyed.

I look at the cupcakes in the oven, who really won't grow.

"And are you sure you followed the recipe?", I can't help but ask.

Mom nods convinced.

"You know what? We'll just redo it", I suggest.

She looks at me happy and I make her a sign to wait one second, as I rush in Mom's private office to take my set of backup clothes. A large Harvard hoodie and some jogging leggings. Harvard has always been my dream, and knowing that I am now closer to it than ever, there is no room for mistakes.

I tuck my hair in a ponytail and walk outside, ready to find Mom. She already placed the new ingredients on the table and now helps me put an apron on.

"How was school?", Mom asks as we start baking in harmony, not having to tell each other what to do. We've done this countless of times together. Especially the cinnamon rolls we bake before watching Gilmore Girls together each Friday.

"Don't ask me about it", I mutter.

Mom stops pouring the flour and looks at me worried. She then hands me a cup of coffee to help me relax and after I've taken a few sips and have visibly calmed down, she continues: "That bad?"

I nod. "They want us to do anonymous pen pals for senior year."

"And is it really that bad?

"Worse than a main male character cheating in romance books."

"Ouch", Mom replies. "I swear, Venier comes up with the weirdest senior year actions. Back when Lewis was your age, they had to go on a survival camp together."

I have to chuckle, imagining my brother in the wilderness. Lewis is ten years older than me and currently travelling the world as a Formula 1 driver.

"Bet he enjoyed that", I joke.

Mom's smirk also turns bright. "He came back traumatised. Levi never let him forget that."

Levi is Lewis' best friend. He wasn't in the same school as my brother, but they've been together through all Formula phases, so he might as well be family.

"Do you have any pictures of him there?" I can't help but ask. I don't tell her they are for later blackmailing purposes.

"I'll send them to you later", Mom answers, winking at me as if she would know exactly what my plan was.

I thank her with a smile on my face. Maybe the pen pals program ain't as bad.