Chapter 42

MYA

"And you seriously went skydiving?", I ask Lewis surprised. We are waiting for our food sitting at a table in Reeche's. Lewis and Winnie didn't get a hotel room and decided to stay with us, since they are staying for three days only. We still went out to eat today though, to celebrate that they're here. Reeche's is the closest restaurant to our school, so we went there after Family Day.

"Levi taught us into it", he explains. Winnie laughs a bit, Lewis pulling her closer to him. They are sitting on the bench while Mom, Dad and I have chairs around the table. Winnie doesn't comment and sits on her father's lap.

"Well, how was it?", Mom asks, honestly a bit worried.

"It was fun", he replies. "Aria went with me, although she was really terrified of it. I told her she didn't have to but she said: If you jump, I jump." A smile fills his face only at the thought of her. That's deep Wattpad-shit. "So we jumped together, along with Levi, Chris and Fabio."

I know the last three are his best friends. His teammate, and the two guys driving for ASTORIA. I know Levi longer though, since him and Lewis have been close from when they were kids. So Levi was always around, like a second older brother.

"Where did you even do that?", Mom continues asking.

"Somewhere near São Paulo. We were in Interlagos for the Brazilian GP and ..."

He's interrupted by a loud gasp.

"Ah"

Oh fuck

"Mrs. Winthrope", Mom begins, her tone trying to sound polite. She managed to do so, but I know she ain't so happy about this encounter.

"What a lovely coincidence", Mrs. Winthrope continues, coming closer to hug Mom.

Mom stands up and wraps her hands around her. I also stand up and come hug Lukas, who seems pretty frozen. Guess the day was too much for him. As if he knew, Lewis passes over a glass of something strong to him, to which Lukas raises an eyebrow.

"You look like you need that", my brother says.

Lukas nods thankfully and pours the content down his throat.

"Please, call me Nicole, we're basically friends", Mrs. Winthrope tells Mom. She then points at her husband.

Lewis and I side-eye, knowing they're anything but. Mom only chuckles polite, while Dad and Lukas' father, Harvey, shake hands.

"Can we join you?", Nicole asks.

Lukas, Lewis, Winnie and I basically beg our parents to say no. Yet Nicole and Harvey are already telling a waiter to pull some more chairs to our table. I take my chance and flee, making Lewis a sign he should make some space for me. Without needing me to ask him a second time, he comes to my rescue. Our table looks as following. A bench with me, Lewis and Winnie on it. At one head of the table, Harvey Winthrope. At the other, Dad. Next to Dad on the side opposing us is Mom. Then Nicole Winthrope. And between Nicole and Harvey, Lukas.

I'm begging for mercy.

"So, how did you enjoy the day?", Mom starts a conversation to end the awkward silence. I hope our food will come soon so that I can find something to occupy myself with, but the Winthropes decide to order too, so now we have to wait for their food as well, so we can all eat together.

Great.

I'm starving.

I tune out, noticing both Lewis and Winnie are looking somewhere under the table. I follow their gaze and see Lewis holding his phone between them, the two playing Candy Crush.