Chapter 26

MADDIE

Ash is supposed to drive me home today so I have to wait til he finishes his practice. I use the time scrolling on my phone, looking at different outfits on Pinterest. When I'll grow up, I want to travel the world, take thousands of photoshoots, try all the fancy gowns, eat food from different countries, have a home to raise a family in...

Until then, I'm stuck here.

But life doesn't seem so dull anymore. Not as I look at the blonde guy on the field, eyeing me from time to time and smirking as our gazes meet. He really is a good soccer player, I'll give him that.

I look back at my phone, starting a Pinterest board. I'd have no problem with someone going through my room, but if anyone opened my Pinterest, I might die of embarrassment. I already have vision boards for the future, but I open a dating one. As cover, I find a picture of a blonde couple. Both Lukas and I are blonde with blue eyes. If we're gonna be together on Halloween, I fully plan on doing a Barbie and Ken costume. I add some date ideas, some quotes, some song ideas...

Until I look back up at him. He was already staring.

I smile.

I spend some time just watching them play. One can see the two hate each other even on the field. The guys split in two teams for practice. Ash leads one, Lukas one. They might kill each other soon from the many penalties.

All of a sudden, another figure appears on the stands. Mya. I can see Lukas looking at her once, winking, while she smiles. Some whispers between the other people who stayed here to watch the practice, well probably to watch the two captains, hoping they'll remain shirtless at one point. Ash also turns to look at her, perhaps to see what stole the crowds' attention from his biceps. She is wearing the school's checkered skirt, that she matched with some knee-high tights, loafers and a university hoodie with "Harvard". Her long brown hair is tucked in a ponytail, a smile plastered on her face. I'm in the uniform as well, but except for a hoodie I'm still in the white shirt, the tie removed and the top buttons a bit unbuttoned. I matched it with a black headband and black heels except of loafers like her.

I'm rather surprised as I see her make her way to me and pointing at the free space on the bench next to me.

"Mind if I seat?", she asks.

I shake my head, closing my phone so that she doesn't see what I'm doing. Instead, I decide to get a conversation going: "Are you also waiting for them to finish so that you get a ride home?"

She shakes her head, smirking proud. "Quite the contrary. I have to wait to offer Lukas a ride."

"Doesn't he have a car?", I ask her.

She nods, but then adds: "He does, but his parents took it away from him. He made the mistake to tell his parents we broke up so they left him carless for today."

I start getting a feeling of guilt. Mya must have noticed, since she gives me a reassuring look. "Don't worry, his parents are crazy as shit. I think that if they could, they would personally place a baby in my belly just so that they have their future heir."

I can't help but laugh at that. Mya looks relieved. Yet the feeling of guilt still hasn't left. "I am sorry that you guys broke up. I can understand if you'd hate me."

"I don't", she replies, her voice honest. Then, a bit lower so that only I can hear. "We were never really together, so it doesn't really feel like a breakup. He's still my best friend, and that's all I need. Please, don't even think about it."

"Are you okay?", I can't help but worry.

She nods. "Got about twenty love letters today and even more DMs, but I'm getting there."

I have to chuckle again. "Wow"

"Mhm", she lets out. Her eyes wonder on the field, where the guys are playing. "He really likes you, you know?", she whispers.

My eyes bolt to her, as my cheeks get pink.

She only nods. "He talked to me about girls before, but I have never seen him like this. Yesterday he spent around an hour just to find the perfect date spot for you guys. He even stole my Pinterest to get ideas."

Fucking gentleman

Lukas' eyes meet mine again and I can't help but blush. "Bet you weren't so happy about that", I tell Mya, eyes still glued on him.

I have no idea when Mya and I started talking about life, but I don't really mind it. It feels nice, actually.

"No, but did I make him watch more Gossip Girl as punishment."

I smile at her. I have a feeling the two of us will get along.

"Anyway, Lukas asked me to send you a message", she adds. I look at her surprised, then at the guy who just scored a goal on the field. I can see Mya cheer along with many people in the crowds, so I join them. Ash offers me a death stare.

Maybe he shouldn't find out about our date either.

"Since your Father can't know, I'll pick you up on Saturday. You can say we went shopping or have a study session or something. Just tell me what you've decided on so I know what cover pictures to post. I'll then leave you off at Starbucks, where Lukas will pick you up."

I look at her surprised. Did I just miss ten chapters of my life? Since when does Mya Cunnan help me?

"You'd do that?", I ask her confused.

"Sure", she mouths. "Just don't comment about the place your date is going to be. It was Lukas' idea, not mine."

I am rather afraid now. "Thank you", I tell her nevertheless. "For everything."

"Don't worry about it", she replies.

She spends the rest of the time with me on the stands, and I must say: Mya Cunnan ain't such a bad friend.